Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Question . . .  (Read 1264 times)

Hetron

• Smokey Joe
Vortex Question . . .
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »
Just got a Vortex today.  What's the best way to light the charcoal?  Directions say to use starter cubes or a cooking oil and a paper towel.  Any comments?  Also when doing chicken wings with high heat indirect, should one lightly oil the wings before putting n the grill?

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Vortex Question . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »
Before you lightly oil and put rub on the wings pat them dry with a paper towel to remove any water.  Makes them crispier IMO.
Make sure your coals are ripping before you put them on too. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »
I light w/ cubes or paper towel if not using the gas assist. Usually 2-3 cubes under the fire grate

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »
I light the charcoal with a chimney and just dump it into the Vortex.  I only put some rub on the wings, no oil.  I don't think I can make any improvements to the wings that I have cooked using the Vortex.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
I light 2 starter cubes along with a couple of briquettes inside the Vortex and then dump the rest of the briquettes on top of it. I don't bother with the chimney this way. For the wings, I wash them and pat them dry thoroughly. I then spread the wings on a shallow baking tray and coat them with peanut oil and then sprinkle some good rub & little dusting of corn starch on it. The tray with the wings then goes into the refrigerator uncovered where I let it sit for 3-4 hours. This dries the moisture in the wings completely. Then I take out the wings and let them come to room temp. I start the Vortex and arrange the wings in a nice circular pattern around the Vortex on the cooking grate. Cover the kettle with the lid and I rotate the lid every 15 minutes at 45 degrees, so that the top vent starts from 12 o'clock to 3 to 6 to 9 o'clock position. Guaranteed crispy wings every time. I do sauce my wings after they are taken off from the kettle.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »
I use two cubes and my bar b cue dragon.
  Don't know what that is? Google it! It is the best
Toy for the Weber ever !! And I am just someone
Who loves it.. I get zero from the company
Just a great product.
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »
I have a performer.  So I set the Vortex over the gas pipe and fill it up with briquettes.  Easy peasy.

I pat my wings dry and then dredge them in flour.
Place them in a circle around the vortex.
Cook 20 minutes.
Flip
Cook 20 more.

The grease comes out of the skin, soaks into the flour and then it acts like it is fried.
Very crispy.

Hetron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »
Flojomon's recipe was the great.  Best wings ever!  Everyone needs to try this.