Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question on Weber Chimney Starter  (Read 3644 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Question on Weber Chimney Starter
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »
Hi folks, I am new here. I have had a weber 22" for a few years and decided to try getting a weber charcoal chimney starter. I was previously using the stack charcoal method w/lighter fluid and didn't like the results. I liked the idea of using newspaper with the chimney starter. I saw a method of taking a sheet or two of newspaper.. sort of rolling it up and laying it inside on that grill along the edge. Stack the coals and light. I noticed a huge difference in the quality of coals getting lit as well as the heat you get.

However..

As the chimney starter is initially starting up with the paper burning.. you get a good 15-20 mins of a LOT of smoke.. to the point where I am smoking out the street in the front of the house! I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong or if there is a better way to get a less smokey start up & not alarm the neighbors (my next door neighbor knocked on the door last time to make sure we were ok.. not something I care to repeat for this reason). I see they sell those wax things which I imagine might be better.. or maybe I locate the paper differently?

Any tips / advice would gladly be appreciated.. thanks!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Question on Weber Chimney Starter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
I'm guessing you are using Kingsford charcoal?  It is really smokey when lighting and from what I have found there isn't much you can do about it.  Stubbs briquettes still smoke but not as much as Kingsford.  Lump charcoal will smoke even less.  I'm kind of interested to see what other people say.  I always use a chimney, so I'm not sure if you are getting more or less smoke the way you are setting up your coals.  My parents always used an electric starter and I don't remember that smoking as much as my chimney does, so that might be something you look into.  If I remember correctly the electric starter does take a little bit longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-SureFire-Electric-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0001B50BM

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »
I use the lighter cubes they get hot fast and that cuts down on the smoke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »
I think you're going to get some smoke regardless what method you're going to use. I think newspaper will produce the most smoke out of any other method. Like Mike mentioned the electric starter is a good option. I use the Weber lighter cubes which light fairly easy and quick. Just placing a couple cubes under your chimney will give you a quick chimney fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
Also, have you sent some food of to your neighbor?  An occasional rack of ribs can work wonders!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
Also the problem I have with the newspaper is the mess it makes and the chance that one of those burning pieces of paper could blow off somewhere and start a fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:12:59 AM »
Buy the cubes.  Newspaper is to messy.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »
I gather up some sticks. For kindling, break them up and put in the chimney before I pot in the charcoal.  That keeps the paper to a minimum.  The kindling burns cleaner and hotter.  Give that a whirl...
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »
Try one piece of newspaper with a few drop of vegetable oil on it.  Or one piece with a few fritos or doritos or potato chips.  I'm not kidding.

Also, start with the chimney 1/3 full.  Light it, wait a few minutes then put the rest of coal on.  The coals at the bottom will be fully light and the rest will catch much faster.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 09:45:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I will stop using the newspaper and try either the kindling or the cubes.

My neighbor wasn't really annoyed, more so she was concerned our house was on fire. It was a rather impressive amount of smoke as it made a haze that went down our street and the next street. I kept checking to see if the police or fd were on their way.

So yep, kindling or cubes next.

I was checking out the wood handles for sale by a user on this site.. wow, those are nice! I might have to pick one up for my chimney starter. My 22" already has a wood handled top. I plan on trying to determine the date of my grill using the guide here too. I'm guessing late 70's or early 80's but we'll see.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »
Try one piece of newspaper with a few drop of vegetable oil on it.  Or one piece with a few fritos or doritos or potato chips.  I'm not kidding.

Also, start with the chimney 1/3 full.  Light it, wait a few minutes then put the rest of coal on.  The coals at the bottom will be fully light and the rest will catch much faster.

I just saw this..  we must have replied at the same time. I will try this as well! thanks

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 09:59:58 AM »

Yup, it works!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/used-some-doritos-to-get-charcoal-going/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I will stop using the newspaper and try either the kindling or the cubes.

My neighbor wasn't really annoyed, more so she was concerned our house was on fire. It was a rather impressive amount of smoke as it made a haze that went down our street and the next street. I kept checking to see if the police or fd were on their way.

So yep, kindling or cubes next.

I was checking out the wood handles for sale by a user on this site.. wow, those are nice! I might have to pick one up for my chimney starter. My 22" already has a wood handled top. I plan on trying to determine the date of my grill using the guide here too. I'm guessing late 70's or early 80's but we'll see.

Post a pic of your lid vent and we'll tell you what year your grill is in 2.5 seconds!  LOL

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
I use one of 3 methods,  place the chimney on my performers gas assist,  lighter cubes or the side burner on my gas grill.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
Revel in it. I personally like the smoke. Let's the neighbors know I'm back there kickin ass. Every once in a while I catch a lighter fluid scent on the wind from some newb behind my house. I silently mock him and feel sorry for his family at the same time.

It's good you are upgrading to a chimney. If you use 3 lighter cubes kinda staggered out the chimney will be lit really fast. The smoke production will still be awesome but it will be a shorter duration
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.