Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 4372 times)

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
Vortex
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a vortex for a while now. I'm just wondering, is it worth it? Could I have a similar affect with a charcoal basket as I could a vortex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Vortex
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a vortex for a while now. I'm just wondering, is it worth it? Could I have a similar affect with a charcoal basket as I could a vortex?

Yes.  And that is the answer to both of your questions.  I have a vortex and when I leave it at a friends house then do wings at my place I get similar results using both of my baskets as I do using my vortex to cook wings....but not exactly the same.  With the price of some accessories, I don't think you will regret giving the vortex a shot.  It is great if you are searing and want really high heat.  One of the things you will hear from others is that the searing zone isn't very big like it would be with the slow-n-sear, which is true.  The only thing I use my vortex for is wings and for super high heat cooking on my cast iron skillet.  Small end of the vortex pointed up with a full load of hot coals....place skillet on the grate above it and sear the crap out of some tuna steaks for about 30 seconds a side if that long.  I've been seeing a lot of people lately doing beer battered chicken with the vortex and have not tried it yet.  I very curious to see if that is one of the things that really can't be duplicated as successfully without a vortex.

I have not tried doing wings with my slow-n-sear yet since I do get such good results with my vortex.  Why mess with a good thing?!!!!  But I know a lot of people here will tell you their slow-n-sear hasn't been taken out of their grill since they got it and they haven't used their vortex from that point either.

So it really comes down to how you feel about spending $35-$40 on a vortex and what other accessories you have or want.  Like I said, the vortex in comparison to some other options isn't going to break the bank.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 02:39:38 PM »
Hey, that helps, thanks. I think the next big item I want to upgrade to is a craycort cast iron grate, along with a couple of the attachments that can come with it. I thought it'd be cool to use the cast iron grate along with a vortex and get an ultimate sear. But then again, if I can get the same results with the baskets I may as well purchase those, because I can see how those could be used in multiple ways. The chicken wings with a vortex looks pretty amazing from the pictures I've seen. And beer battered chicken? That sounds interesting to do on the grill, might have to look that one up, I'm always looking to expand my horizon with cooking on my kettle.

Thanks for your help.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
The Vortex makes wonderful and crispy wings.  But, you can do a lot more with it, too. 

maclane

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
I just ordered mine and will be here on Thursday can't wait I. Also ordered the hi flow damper will let you guys know how it works

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »
Let me know your thoughts on the vortex. And high flow damper?...is that a temp regulator of some sort?

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
High flow damper?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
The Vortex makes for a great wok cooker-super high heat, I have the gourmet grate and with the center out and wok in place instant wok cooker!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »
How well do you think it'd work with craycort cast iron grates?...since craycort doesn't have a center piece, but instead has quartered pieces.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 05:34:22 AM »
How well do you think it'd work with craycort cast iron grates?...since craycort doesn't have a center piece, but instead has quartered pieces.

I will let you know soon on the craycort/vortex combo I have craycorts on my 26er i will be trying it out this weekend because 12 hr workdays all week
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TonyUK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »
I use my custom made Teeny-Weeny Vortex on my JJ & SJ to do steaks, (+1.5").
I push the vortex to the far side of the grill, (12 o'clock, steaks at 6 o'clock), until I get the IT I want, then turn the vortex upside down, (for more real estate), add more screaming hot coals for a reverse sear. I don't do steaks any other way now.

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
I use my custom made Teeny-Weeny Vortex on my JJ & SJ to do steaks, (+1.5").
I push the vortex to the far side of the grill, (12 o'clock, steaks at 6 o'clock), until I get the IT I want, then turn the vortex upside down, (for more real estate), add more screaming hot coals for a reverse sear. I don't do steaks any other way now.
Reverse sear? What's the science behind that?

TonyUK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
I cook the steaks indirect to my desired IT, then sear over the vortex for a crunchy exterior. Hopefully no grey banding.

KettleCookin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
I cook the steaks indirect to my desired IT, then sear over the vortex for a crunchy exterior. Hopefully no grey banding.
Alright. I was just wondering. Don't a lot of juices leak out while you're cooking indirectly? 

TonyUK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
KC.
No. Not at all. Searing meat before cooking, to seal in the juices, is a myth.
I have done it both ways, & the reverse sear is far superior.