Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Paint  (Read 2011 times)

TD

• WKC Brave
Paint
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:19:46 AM »
Decided to test the stuff on the lids before commiting to painting a whole kettle.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:53:42 AM by TD »

MarcoTonyTonon

• Smokey Joe
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
What tipe of paint?

Inviato dal mio HTC One M9 utilizzando Tapatalk

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:10:07 AM »
That looks very good. Can't wait to see how it hold up.
May The Smoke Be With You!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
Very interested to see how this holds up.  Even more interested in seeing how the bottom half of the kettle holds up if the top half does fine and you move on to phase 2!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:30:36 AM »
Think of all of the possibilities if this holds up!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
Very cool! I am all for trying diff. things and cool projects, but I just hope you guys realize that even the best high heat paint application will have issues with flaking off and changing color after few high heat use.  Do some research into painting kettles. Long as we understand that and still go ahead to paint is fine.

Original porcelain enamel coating is lot tougher than even power coated finish.   And power coated finish is lot stronger and tougher than any high heat paint applied by best painter in the world. 

IMO, painting is not the way to do it right.  Ask any seasoned grillfella's here why they are still looking for that special color kettle instead of just painting their current kettle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:22:21 PM by greenweb »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 02:19:06 PM »
I agree greenweb. I would love to have your yellow kettle. They are as rare as a 50's butterscotch telecaster. I would love to watch it change colors! I started out wanting a copper, but the paint didn't stick. it was Rustoleum aged copper high heat ultra(1200 degree). Wasn't crazy about the color tho. Think it would have been good if I had sanded the porcelain enamel prior to painting. The only way to make paint look like porcelain it to top coat it with clear. i really like the Rustoleam 2000 degree clear from the Walmart auto section. Ended up scraping it all off with a razor, but it was hard and temp stable.

The 2008 Performer lid is VHT yellow 550 degree engine enamel. The 2000 Lid is VHT 1200 degree yellow caliper paint. The engine enamel is more of a canary yellow as it has some green in it. The caliper paint is more of a pale yellow and I like it better. The yellow engine enamel has more clear and doesn't cover as well, but is glossier. The caliper paint is not very glossy but has more pigment and covers better. The caliper paint needs the clear to even look like porcelain. The 08 Performer lid was caved in on top whe I got it and when I popped it out it crazed the porcelain, so I had to paint it. It has been outside and has been uncovered in the weather for a year and has had many cooks on it. It was painted with Rustoleum Gloss black 550 degree engine enamel. never flaked off. It only turned dull on the lid where the fire was located. It did scratch off where the lid bale rubbed. I put a hook under the lid. I like Performer without the bale. I think she looks good bare bottom.

No rust under the handle tho.

It takes a lot of temp cycles to cure the paint(gradually hotter and cool in between). Cant get it hot to quick or it will bubble. The Performer gas assist helps! Paint is soft and sticky when hot. I cooked on the Performer last night and had it up to 400 degrees. you could smell the paint baking, but it held and didnt discolor or bubble.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:05:54 PM by TD »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:17:57 PM »
I agree greenweb. I would love to have your yellow kettle. They are as rare as a 50's butterscotch telecaster. I would love to watch it change colors! I started out wanting a copper, but the paint didn't stick. it was Rustoleum aged copper high heat ultra(1200 degree). Wasn't crazy about the color tho. Think it would have been good if I had sanded the porcelain enamel prior to painting. The only way to make paint look like porcelain it to top coat it with clear. i really like the Rustoleam 2000 degree clear from the Walmart auto section. Ended up scraping it all off with a razor, but it was hard and temp stable.

Hopefully, you did better prepping job on this yellow lid.  The lid looks great!  Love to see how it all works out.

Not sure if you have Redhead. She also changes color when heated. If you don't have one, might be easier to get Red for now until that Yellow come around.