Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle Restore question  (Read 1358 times)

Altoids

• Happy Cooker
Ranch Kettle Restore question
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:24:54 PM »
I am in the process of restoring a Ranch Kettle from 1998 according to one of the vents.  I tried using a pressure washer to clean a lot of the grease off but that did very little.  I then started scraping it off.  Based on what I have read, I need to get some degreaser or oven cleaner and some 0000 steel wool. 

The lid has a couple of dents that I am not worried about.  The edge lip is what I am concerned with.  It looks like a bunch of rain water could just sit in there.  Is that how it is supposed to be?  I would go to a local store to just check out how it is supposed to be but of course they just sold the one they have had for years.  This is what mine looks like:
I could do some surgery to bend it back into place but I don't know how it is supposed to be.

Here are some more photos before:

A couple during some work I did today:

Cellar2ful

Re: Ranch Kettle Restore question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:44:59 PM »
That is the way the ranch kettle lip is designed and built. It does have a tendency to fill with water if you do not keep them covered or under cover.  I keep mine under an RV structure but when the wind blows, it still fills up that trough area with water.  I have to lift the lid and drain the water after the rain stops. If you let it sit, it does start rusting in that area.

Simple green works good on breaking down built up grease.  You can also use a SOS pad and water to remove the built up exterior crud. Use a razor blade and #0000 steel wool on the interior of the lid and bowl.   

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 07:37:31 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
Razor blade in a holder. Will get that goop out of there pronto. Actually it will come off so quick it will piss you off that you tried anything else.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Altoids

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 04:43:00 AM »
By the looks of it my lid is bent up all the way around.

I have some work ahead of me.  This would explain why the lid slides off very easily.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
I've used this a few times on grills.  It isn't necessary but does make things a little easier.  Spray, let it sit for 30-45 minutes, then scrape your kettle with a razor blade.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »

Close up of the lip on my ranch. Looks like there is one area on your lid that is bent in. I would see about straightening that first to see if your lid will then fit over the bowl.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Altoids

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:30:04 AM »
Right now there is no part of the lid that wraps over the outside edge of the bowl.  That is likely what it slides off the sides so easily.  There is some moderate rust in that area.  I wonder if there is some high temp paint that matches the look of the Weber finish.  I know I won't be able to duplicate their finish.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »
Right now there is no part of the lid that wraps over the outside edge of the bowl.  That is likely what it slides off the sides so easily.  There is some moderate rust in that area.  I wonder if there is some high temp paint that matches the look of the Weber finish.  I know I won't be able to duplicate their finish.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

In general the RK lid slides off very easily for its size. It's designed to fall into the rollers without much effort. The lack of lip there will make it even easier. I'd suggesst getting it down to bare porcelain and cook on it before you consider anything more drastic. I'd rinse it off and do a basic scrub with soap and water, use oven cleaner to remove the stuck grease, then use a razor to scrape off the burnt carbon. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results. This thread should help/provide inspiration: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/ranch-kettle-rehab/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791