Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I guess I'm stuck getting a new kettle now  (Read 4307 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
I guess I'm stuck getting a new kettle now
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Like I've said before, my kettle has been well used and seen better days.  The one touch sweeper on my kettle seized up some time ago so I finally got a replacement for it and went to install it on Saturday but it went badly since the original one was all rusted together.  I had to put some serious elbow grease into separating the rusted together parts to get it out and damaged the bottom of the kettle bowl in the process.  It's a bit dented at the very bottom so the replacement sweeper doesn't lay flat and I can't join the ring and handle to the two prongs that come down through the hole from the sweeper blades.  I might be able to pound out the dents and make it all fit together properly but I'm not sure.  In any event, I was considering turning the kettle into a dedicated high temperature grill for using the Kettle Pizza since the enamel on the lid and bowl's been heat crazed by that already, so I may do that and leave the sweeper out.  Lessons have definitely been learned about what parts are susceptible to rust and the required care and storage.

So, that leaves me needing a proper fully functioning kettle for normal cooking.  I'm giving serious consideration to picking up a Master Touch instead of another One Touch Gold.  I've already got a set of charcoal baskets, so what are people's opinions on the price difference for the gourmet grill system and the warming rack vs. a one touch gold which doesn't come with those?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: I guess I'm stuck getting a new kettle now
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »
Maybe consider getting a Performer.  There is a used crimson red one for sale down your way.

Having a dedicated KP-only kettle is the way to go.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:53:44 AM »
@Lightning Since you are in Canada, Maybe a nice Ivory MasterTouch??   8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
One touch gold doesn't come with a friggin lid bale anymore. Found that out this weekend. No mastertouchs were available at the Ace I was at. Get a performer..
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:18:27 AM »
One touch gold doesn't come with a friggin lid bale anymore. Found that out this weekend. No mastertouchs were available at the Ace I was at. Get a performer..
Maybe consider getting a Performer.  There is a used crimson red one for sale down your way.

Having a dedicated KP-only kettle is the way to go.

I've thought about getting a performer because of the built in side table and the ignition system but the price of new ones is out of reach.  I did take a look around for used ones but they're scarce.  I could only find one way out in Oshawa which I'm pretty sure was black.

@Lightning Since you are in Canada, Maybe a nice Ivory MasterTouch??   8)

This is what I was thinking of since it's more affordable and a number of heavy car related expenses this summer have really cleaned me out for the time being.  The ivory and the slate colours are both nice.  I think I like the ivory a bit more though, and I didn't really care for the other grey and the orangeish one.  What's the significance of being in Canada though?

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Someone find this man a performer before withdrawal sets in!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
@Lightning -  The colored ones that are currently available in Canada are not available in the US, so you have a nice advantage over a lot of us who would kill for an Ivory or Slate kettle!  If you don't hold our for a performer, I would definitely go for one of the colors we can't get here in the states.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »

@Lightning -  The colored ones that are currently available in Canada are not available in the US, so you have a nice advantage over a lot of us who would kill for an Ivory or Slate kettle!  If you don't hold our for a performer, I would definitely go for one of the colors we can't get here in the states.

And when you get the ivory or spring green post tons of pictures so we can all drool over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »

That's something I wasn't aware of.  I know the Canadian and US markets for many things differ in subtle ways but I wouldn't have expected it to extend to the colours of barbecues.  Actually, this is good to know because one of my best friends who's American has been thinking about getting a Weber kettle like mine so I'll let him know that it's something to think about getting while he's visiting here in a few weeks if he wants something unique.

Personally, I like the ivory.  I'll have to see if I can swing the budget for it when I get paid next.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
My vote goes for Craigslist Performer with gas assist.  It's all I consider.  The convenience of the table and ease of getting the coals going when you can get a used one for under the price of a new kettle makes it a m brainier for me.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »
It's not as easy for us Canucks. We rarely see performers of any type for sale.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:52:50 AM »
Indeed.  I've been looking in all the usual places since the idea of dedicating the barbecue I have now to Kettle Pizza service came to mind and I've only seen one performer on the used market.  I don't know if it's because performers don't sell well here to begin with limiting the size of the pool that could end up on the used market or if the people buying them new are happy with them and keeping them.  Otherwise, I'd happily buy a used performer if I could find one for reasonable money.

Come to think of it, we don't see the water smokers for sale used very often either.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
C'mon man, used Performers are out there.

There is a black Gen2 perf in Toronto that's been listed for a month now for $200.  Could get them down some.

And, there is a re-listed red SS Perf for $200 not too far from you.  Was originally $400.

PM me for the links.  I am not interested in either, so I did not inquire.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »
So they are out there...  Fingers crossed I can arrange to get one of them...

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm on the red SS. Been working on it for the past week or so. Going to see it tomorrow night.