Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cado from Denver  (Read 3552 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Cado from Denver
« on: August 04, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »
After agonizing delays, my friend finally shipped it for me.  18" Cado is finally here.

This is the Sellers pic.

My first impression of the package does not look too good.  The box look all beat up and has 4 golf size holes.

This is all the packing on top.

Could that be considered a bubble pack. Very thin stuff.  This is all between the lid and the bowl. The box is too small and no packing around the lid.

This is all the packing at the bottom.

This is everything from the box. They all look good.

Here is the lid and the bowl close up.

This looks like the original price tag      (update: it has been corrected as a moving tag,  not a pricetag.  Did I miss read it as price or did I want to assume it to be the price tag at 45.99 :-[)

As I have expected, the lid would not fit on the bowl. Check the bowl first with my other good lid. bowl is fine but the lid is out of round. Work the lid for 20 min. to get it to fit. Surprisingly minimal damage.

Clean up.

I still need to do legs, triangle, and wheels and put it all together.  Final pics tomorrow. I am amazed that it did not get more damaged. Other than that one damage, it is in almost mint condition.
I absolutely love this kettle.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:30:43 PM by greenweb »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cado from Denver
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:51 PM »
Absolutely beautiful!!! Hey, if you, or your friend, haven't seen it, there is actually a shipping thread in the WKC glossary. Crazy? Nope. I've had a couple shipped to me and it was meticulous. Beautiful grill, man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »
Thanks! @Travis.  I even sent him the WKC shipping thread link. I told him to leave out both grates too thinking it would be unusable. But I am glad he included in the box. Original grates and the charcoal holders are in real good condition.  I am glad he did not listen but not about how he packed it. :)  You know I feel about 18" now. I am really gona enjoy cooking on this one.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »

@greenweb -Really nice avocado.  It is always a nail biting experience waiting while a kettle is being shipped. When having one shipped, all I can think about are the video's we have all seen of workers throwing packages off trucks and conveyor belts.  My last one arrived with the box in the shape of a large exercise ball.  All the corners were crushed in like it was rolled from the top of Mt Everest. Probably the only thing that held the box together was the seller had wrapped the entire box in duct tape. I like you, were lucky there was no permanent damage to the lid and bowl. Congratulations. Now get to work on those legs and ash pan.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »

@greenweb -Really nice avocado.  It is always a nail biting experience waiting while a kettle is being shipped. When having one shipped, all I can think about are the video's we have all seen of workers throwing packages off trucks and conveyor belts.  My last one arrived with the box in the shape of a large exercise ball.  All the corners were crushed in like it was rolled from the top of Mt Everest. Probably the only thing that held the box together was the seller had wrapped the entire box in duct tape. I like you, were lucky there was no permanent damage to the lid and bowl. Congratulations. Now get to work on those legs and ash pan.

LOL  Yes, I was real lucky.  Only other thing is that the leg sockets could be bit off, but I don't see any damage marks. I should find out when I put legs and triangle together tomorrow.  Thanks!
I will get a close up pic of the damaged and fixed area after I put it all together.  signing out.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:33:01 PM by greenweb »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 02:43:04 AM »
Sweet looking Cado! I see plastic wheels. Does this one have the PAT number on the lid vent?

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 03:12:55 AM »
Wow. That's a gem. Thankfully undamaged in shipping too!
Have fun with it.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Cado from Denver
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:27:16 AM »
Awesome little kettle!!!  Love a good Avocado.

I'm always nervous about grills being shipped. Thankfully, most people have accepted/used my advice on packaging, except the last one:
Imagine the dismay when I saw this. Cursing the USPS, until I opened & saw:
At least you didn't have any of this in the box:
Don't be too hard on your buddy. He actually tried!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 05:41:30 AM »
That's an Awesome grab!!!!  And yes, you got very lucky with that being shipped like that.  Congrats.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:09:25 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words.

@ Craig- yes it has Pat. # on it.  Would this be mid 70's.

@brewtownbeatdown-  Damn! that much porcelain loss from yellow.  I be crying if that happened to me.   I am actually grateful to my buddy in Denver.  He drove 4 hrs total to pick this up.  He also paid in full amount up front for both kettle and shipping.  I been trying to paypal him the money few times already asking for his paypal e-mail, but has not heard back yet.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:01:09 AM by greenweb »

stellato1976

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »
looking good.. cant wait to see finished
Stay grilling  my friends!!!!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
Got her all cleaned up. The bowl is out of round too.  All fixed up now.

Damaged area- more than 1/4" out of round. Fixed up with minimal porcelain loss.

All together.

side view               

Her new companion.

Light stain on the wood.

This has been the most challenging Score ever, but well worth it.  Actually, this kettle is priceless to me.

Damn! I got the triangle on wrong.   I took the wheels off to reverse the legs as they have indentation to fit into the bowl socket. I used small puller as shown to pull the wheel tabs off.  Makes it lot easier pulling it off without damage.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:35:09 PM by greenweb »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 02:10:32 PM »
It absolutely beautiful, man. Great job, greenweb. Absolutely, great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »
Very nice! 
On a side note,  that sticker looks to be a moving tag,  not a pricetag. Its just something movers put on stuff to keep them itemizzed.
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »
Just like this on the back of my wardrobe chest

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!