Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I hate the taco handle - there I said it  (Read 7623 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
I hate the taco handle - there I said it
« on: July 07, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
That's some ugly ish. I'm 40 though, so maybe I'm just over the hill  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:57:05 PM by AZ Monsoon »

Troy

• Statesman
Re: I hate the taco handle - there I said it
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:35 PM »
Ya know... I'm not a fan either.

I want to feel confident in my handle. If I'm outside and I get attacked by a ninja again, I need to know and TRUST that my grill lid will serve as a shield until I can pull my own weapon.

Plus it's prone to overtightening to the point where porcelain chips. That's always interpreted as a decline in Weber quality and the people get all fired up about China and capitalism.

I do think it offers some benefits though. Safer, smaller, easier shipping - which could eventually help the US get additional color options.
Plus there's always custom handles (including the strap) - something we've only previously seen as acts of desperation.

I think my biggest beef is where the hook placement is, but I haven't actually cooked on one - so all of my complaints are mostly just snobbery.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 11:08:41 PM »
Good points. It's still ugly though - and I still hate it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:13:44 PM by AZ Monsoon »

bigdaddyII

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:35:43 AM »
I have that handle on my new 22" kettle. It serves it's purpose well as a heat shield but after seeing the older kettles I have to agree that it looks kind of goofy. I agree with the hook placement though. I've been using the snot out of mine and you have to turn your wrist at an awkward angle to hang the lid. I keep telling myself that I'll get used to it.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
Ditto, Also the lid thermometer placement is pointless, not that its useful anyway
but when you move the lid vent opposite to the coals it is directly over the (obviously) Hot coals

No pit temp, just the "firebox" temp =Useless

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 07:16:05 AM by Metal Mike »
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 07:19:27 AM »
Taco handle = good reason to never own anything newer that 2013.

We don't hear Harris bitching about the ugly things do we. The only way I see myself owning another one, (had a Crimson but I sold it), is if a Blue Wave came attached to it....and I'd get rid of the Blue Wave if a Imperial somehow landed in my lap.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
I agree, the taco handle is ugly.

We just need people to keep over tightening their taco handles and chipping the porcelain so that the warranty claims outpace any savings Weber is getting from the switch.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 08:57:03 AM »
The good news is that the bolt through design allows you to do this:

Unlimited creativity opportunity to replace the taco with whatever you want!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
The good news is that the bolt through design allows you to do this:

Unlimited creativity opportunity to replace the taco with whatever you want!

Winz

That's the spirit! I also think the Taco handle is ugly and not as secure as the welded ones. I don't own and taco handle grills yet but they will probably get swapped out once I do.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »
I think it's beautiful ! …. there I said it.  :-X :o :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

baloo2944

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
After firing up my CL find 18" kettle this past weekend, I quickly found out I also like the taco handle on my 22" kettle.  Man that handle was HOT on the 18.  Didn't even think twice the first time I went to grab it to take the lid off.  Needless to say, I got an oven mitt for the rest of the cook. 

Is there a way to upgrade the handle on my 18 to something that doesn't hold the heat?  From the looks of it, the handle is riveted/welded to the lid if I recall.
KCCO!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 11:35:51 AM »
Taco handle = good reason to never own anything newer that 2013.

We don't hear Harris bitching about the ugly things do we. The only way I see myself owning another one, (had a Crimson but I sold it), is if a Blue Wave came attached to it....and I'd get rid of the Blue Wave if a Imperial somehow landed in my lap.

My crimson performer is an AH code 2014 without the taco handle.  It's welded on.  It gets pretty damn hot when I cook but I like the look much better than the taco style.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »
After firing up my CL find 18" kettle this past weekend, I quickly found out I also like the taco handle on my 22" kettle.  Man that handle was HOT on the 18.  Didn't even think twice the first time I went to grab it to take the lid off.  Needless to say, I got an oven mitt for the rest of the cook. 

Is there a way to upgrade the handle on my 18 to something that doesn't hold the heat?  From the looks of it, the handle is riveted/welded to the lid if I recall.

You could always drill it out or add something to deflect the heat from the existing handle
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
I think it's beautiful ! …. there I said it.  :-X :o :D

Shit disturber.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

baloo2944

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »

You could always drill it out or add something to deflect the heat from the existing handle

I'm not much of the fabrication/cutting/drilling modification type, unless it is a direct replacement type deal.  I always worry I'll end up breaking it, and have to figure out what to do next.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:43:04 PM by baloo2944 »
KCCO!