Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Green EI Gas Assist SS Performer- Great Bowl/Stainless/Sweeps-NotSoGreat Legs  (Read 5137 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ

Here is how I got her the frame completely disassembled and in pieces.

Setting up to be able to work upright

The plan-
I decided to go with a plan involving running allthread through the holes and the square horizontal tube where the rusted out bolts were and secure the ends with an acorn nut.  I also bought some new square aluminum 1 inch tube but am deciding to try to use the original black tubing and if it doesn't work out i can always go back and purchase the 1 inch aluminum square tubing.  The cost of the tubing was $33 and I didn't want to spend it if I didn't have to.  After assessing the original black horizontal tubing I had decided it didn't seem solid enough to jam star nuts down into so this is another reason I'm going with the allthread rod rout.

First need to remove the rusted off bolts that secured the Performer’s horizontal cross brace square tubes.  Sprayed them with WD-40, put a vice grip on the rusted bolt and another on the nut and with a little pressure they snapped right off, all four of them.

For anyone that wold rather replace the bolts with more original starnuts and a bolt, the bolt that came on the Performer originally is 2 inches.

As I decided to run a threaded rod all the way through the square cross-brace tube and the holes where the bolts I removed was located and then cap the rod off with an acorn nut.  Here was the hardware from Ace Hometown Hardware store, Gloucester MA.
4 acorn nuts, 8 nuts to secure the washers inside the square tube and 4 washers which were the diameter of the inside of the tube to hold it in place.

x

So I get to the last nut, 8th out of 8, 7 went on flawlessly and were all adjusted to right where I wanted them on the threaded rod.  Wouldn’t you know that last nut wouldn’t go on.  So I put the vice grips to it and it wasn’t til I got about an inch on that I realized that I stripped the thread and there would be no way the acorn nut would screw on.  So back to the hardware store for a new rod and a three extra nuts (for insurance).  The rod was only $2.39 at the Building Center Gloucester MA. I needed two nuts to finish securing the bottom of the frame.  I could only get two of them on and I wasn’t about to strip another rod so I’ll have to wait til I get out of work to get a nut that fits.  The nuts must be mixed with different threads.  Driving me nuts.

So here is the rod capped off with an acorn nut, installed.  I used one of the original washers from the Performer just before the acorn nut.  On the other side I had to cut off about an inch from the rod but now the frame is much more stable.  Hopefully I get out of work in time to grab another nut to finish off this part of the project.   Next up having my buddy Joe Ciolino tack weld the top part of the frame to the vertical supports on the bottom of the frame.

Here she sits, uncleaned but with reattached horizontal cross tubes on the bottom of the frame (minus that one damn nut).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:55:21 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Got that last nut and the base is secure.  Can't figure out what this wire rod goes to but it did come in handy this morning.  I placed the to[p part of the frame on top of the base to see how it lined up and hooked up the 5lb propane tank to try it out.  First ten clicks nothing but I did smell propane.  So I stuck the wire rod into the burner tube thinking maybe there was an obstruction, twirling it around a bit.  After that, success!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjOvjB3GdzY
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Nice job I had one like that that the top tabs all came apart. I have a mig welder so was able to weld the tabs all back together and bolt the top back on. It's always nice to bring a classic SSP back to life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
While she's with the welder, started cleaning the lid.
Before and afters-

Easy

• WKC Brave
I have a friend who was crazy for a ss model any color well he found it and got it cheap not as good of shape as yours .
His frame was in about the same shape he bought raw stock square steel tubing and marked it all out made a rough drawing and took it to a metal shop and had it all welded up. As he said a little more in cost but no more water leaks to rust out the frame .
That about seven years ago and it still looks great.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
What a nice surprise when I got to the dock this morning.
4:30AM and my buddy the welder dropped off the frame put together.

He used brackets and I think these are called sheet metal screws to firm it up and then he spray painted over them with black.  I had to really look to even notice because it blended in.  To A Weber Grillfella it would be obvious if you were focusing your attention at the base of the grill but I don't think 99% of the population would think it was anything but standard.  Its really solid with the threaded rod and now the brackets.

Next to get cleaning, a combination of scotchbrite pads, steel wool, water, dishwashing detergent and elbow grease.
Lots of surface dirt and stains.  Most came out.
Before-

I think I'll pick up a bristled brush to scrub the grey plastic handles.  The little grooves are tough to get into to clean.
After-

x

x

Jon

• WKC Ranger
That is a beauty.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Look good. Nice job bringing that one back to life.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
The ash catcher assembly had a bit of a droop in the back so one of my fishermen had some shark fishing stainless steel 175lb leader wire so we snugged it up tight.

I may invest in a dremel tool with a buffer attachment and hit the ash catcher with some polish.  Anyone have a recommendation for a certain type brand?  Sears had some sets for sale.

She's pretty secure now.