Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie brackets on 1980's Weber Kettle?  (Read 1751 times)

coffeeld

• Smokey Joe
Rotisserie brackets on 1980's Weber Kettle?
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster. First off--I've become somewhat obsessed with Weber Kettles since finding the Weber this post is about at the local dump. I lifted the lid and noticed it was considerably heavier then the lid on my modern 2011 model kettle. That piqued my interest so I threw it in the back of the ol' truck--since that time I've bought 2 other vintage kettles and am actively looking for different colors, models etc...aaaannd my wife wants to punch me in the face. :)

Here's my question, are these rotisserie brackets on this grill (which I believe is a 1984 based on this site's info on dating) an original Weber add on, a special weber model, or just somebody rigging up aftermarket stuff to the kettle? If they are original, I want them to be part of my restoration, if they are someone's jerry-rigged add on, I'm inclined to removed them as part of my restoration.

Secondarily, if they are a original Weber part, does anyone know which rotisserie kit (skewer/motor) is appropriate for this set up?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this matter. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Rotisserie brackets on 1980's Weber Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »
Well this sure is interesting!  Someone will know whats up with this.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
Looks to me like some aftermarket rigging.
Weber rotisseries used a ring that stacks on the bowl.
Hopefully someone else will chime in.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »
=Looks to me like someone got an Weber Roti kit for a gas grill and then went all redneck with it.   It's definitely not original for a kettle.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 05:09:23 PM »
That is definitely some after market rigging that someone stuck on there. Weber rotisserie brackets don't even look like the bracket in the picture, not even close. Genuine Weber rotisseries are mounted on a ring that stacks on top of the bottom bowl.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »

Not an expert but I would find it hard to believe that Weber would design an accessory that would require drilling holes in their kettles.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »

Not an expert but I would find it hard to believe that Weber would design an accessory that would require drilling holes in their kettles.
Pretty Insightful IMHO  8) 
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

coffeeld

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 06:39:36 PM »
Yes, I absolutely agree with that. In fact, that's what first raised my questions about it, specifically the hardware that was used to attach those brackets seemed odd: wing nuts.

However, I thought there was an outside chance that it came from weber with the holes pre-drilled for the brackets. and the wing nuts would be consistent with not really needing a lot of tools to assemble one. I'm also not too surprised by the fact that it was redneck ingenuity, I do live out in the sticks. Still, it's a nice grill for free and I'm pretty sure it will clean up well--pretty much zero chips, only a little surface rust around welds.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:30 AM »

Pretty Insightful IMHO  8)

I had to Google IMHO (lol). Guess that shows my ineptness at texting knowledge, but I am from the jurassic period.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"