Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettles Shut Down Quicker Gunked Up  (Read 1915 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Kettles Shut Down Quicker Gunked Up
« on: June 01, 2016, 02:34:40 AM »
Early Spring I did thorough cleanings of all my kettles.  Good scrapings with the razor and steel wool treatment.

All that gunk that was removed  made them much more air leaky and now it seems I'm using excess charcoal due to longer shut down times where charcoal burns down more instead of extinguishing right away.

So it begs the question.  Is gunk good?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettles Shut Down Quicker Gunked Up
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 02:39:09 AM »
It does help the seal of the kettle.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:44:59 AM »
In my book gunk is good. I don't clean the inside of my grills or smokers unless gunk is flaking off and can get on food. I clean grill grates every cook but that is it... I know others like to clean every year etc.
Hotty Toddy!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 05:57:29 AM »
Yes, after you've cleaned Burn chicken fat/trimmings directly over a small pile of coals, to build up a "fresh/clean" sealing gunk layer (cheap & sticky smoke.)

Tastes Like Chicken...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:02:15 AM »
I scrape mine down too. I don't get carried away, but I do give them a quick clean up from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
I'm fine with gunk.  I will burn a hot full direct load of coals from time to time if I have too much grease build up to burn it off.  Other than that I take pride in the gunk I have built up cook by cook!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
Yeah gunk is good!
They become better cookers the more you use them.
I always clean new to me kettles when I get them, just cuz you never know what someone else used them for/cooked in them.
But the more you use them the better they seal up, it shouldn't take long before they shut down pretty quickly.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »
A good dirty cooker is happier too. That's what mine tell me anyways.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »
Gunk helps for sure.  My oldest kettle holds lower temps easier than the others.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson