Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thank you MadMax  (Read 2249 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Thank you MadMax
« on: May 22, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »
I am very new to this forum and totally green when it comes to "RRR". At first when I joined I had a couple kettles, nothing to show off, but I'm not "that guy", yet...What I am is a cooker, if you will. I grill 5 to 6 nights a week, multiple times a day on my days off. I love to cook. Anyways, I find this club. I start talking a little with folks and see what you're all cooking, but also what you're cooking on, and I'm floored! There are some damn cool grills out there! Just beautiful!

Fast forward a month. I've put a couple things out on the site and have talked with one or two guys about different things and also about finding (my holy grail) the 26r. I get a message from mad max a couple weeks ago, and he ask me what's my wish list. I'm not thinking anything about it. Maybe this guy is coming up with something to do with the club. I say "26 flat top. Would love an old one but I don't care. I'd take a new one too. After that maybe a brownie, yellow and imperial." He emails me with a 26r and says "what do you think?" I ask how much and he says " here's the deal. I want this much for it, but you keep that money and spend it on your family." I was taken back in a few ways. I can't believe someone I've never met would offer that and then, why would someone offer that. Well, I said yes and we talked a few more times. He assured me he was a stand up dude so we met up this morning.

Let me tell you this this guy is a great grillfella! We met at an old tire shop at a 4 way intersection in an old town and sat there bullshitting for close to an hour. MadMax has definitely been around the block when it comes to cookers and I was just blown away by his willingness to help another guy out. I asked if it would be ok to bring this up in the club and he said sure. So before I post some pictures of what I was gifted, I wanted to tell ya'll how great of a guy he is and tell this cool story.

This is not a rescue, it's a gift, a story, a conversation at many parties and cookouts to come. This will be my first restoration, so please, any advise is welcome. I stopped and got razor blades and 0000 steel wool and will be looking for some parts through here as well as replacing some handles.

Thanks again Mark. Next time your down this way, please call me and we'll have them beers.

I will be posting the progress as I go. Thanks for checking it out and thank you again, Mark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:35:29 AM by Travis »

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Thank you MadMax
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 11:24:23 AM »
Very cool story, all the way around!
Congratulations Travis, and awesome kettle karma MadMax.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 02:06:05 PM »
AWESOME!
Mad max, super solid!
Travis, that's a great grill, and should clean up nicely. It'll be a great cooker for years to come, and what a great story you'll have every time you fire it up.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Great story! Can't wait to see it cleaned up!

usoloco

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 04:36:13 PM »
That is a great story!!! I love the WKC!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Thumbs up @MadMax . Great story!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:53:00 AM »
mark's a great dude. 

I only use kettles with lid bales.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 06:29:23 AM »
mark's a great dude.
He said the same about you Greg. Pretty cool dude.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »
Great story.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »
I would expect no less, for the God of Godfrey!

(Her character, Grace, sniffed Wite-Out, so take it as you will.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Thank you MadMax
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »
I would expect no less, for the God of Godfrey!

(Her character, Grace, sniffed Wite-Out, so take it as you will.)

With great pride, my friend. Glad to see ya back in the mix . How's the move going? Oh, and that is one my fav's.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »
My house looks like a bomb went off inside of it. The "move" is going to happen from now until later this summer. 3 1/2 weeks more of school. Won't nuthin' much happen before then.

I did cook a "righteous" apple wood -smoke lasagna tonight however. Took Monday "off," after a marathon session this weekend writing a paper, if you don't count also taking off Friday to get ready for, and attend a Willie Nelson concert. Which by the way was GREAT.  Ben Haggard, who actually forgot the words to "Okie from Muskogee" ("Sorry, dad!") ... Kris Kristofferson helped him out ... said, when the 39th President showed up down in front, "Hi, Mr. Carter. You're late." Three people got standing ovations that night ... Kristofferson, Carter, and Nelson. Just an awesome vibe that night.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 06:48:41 PM »
Concert sounds like a great time. Glad you got to get the hell out of the chaos for a spell. See ya bud