Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?  (Read 5701 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
I'd like for us to swap some of our tips and tricks we use while searching for Webers. I feel funny asking because I don't want to step on anyone's toes and reveal any secrets that you depend on.  I know that a lot of us live in areas where there's a lot of competition to get there first on these deals.
    At the same time it's a big country and we get new members all the time who may not know all the tricks used on Craigslist, Ebay and other websites. I guess the reason I'm asking is so that fewer Webers wind up in the dumps. I'd hate for one to not be sold and scrapped as a result of someone not knowing the "webber" search or some of the other tricks used to find them.
   I think in the end we all want these grills saved even if we're not the one who saves them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:58 PM »
Share on!  ;)

Rescue & Reuse beats Search & Destroy.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
Me, have tricks? Nahhh, Never... I'm a legitimate player in the game of grills..
Aren't all Grillfellas honest?  You have to watch for the sharks, there everywhere!
Have you ever heard the phrase, "Its in my truck?" 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
I'm with you Eastex.  On CL try "grill", "BBQ", "charcoal grill", because not everyone knows/cares it's a Weber grill people are after.  Also most local papers have on line classifieds.  But some of the best luck I've had on finding deals early on have been thrift stores and drive by's.  Just take a different way to work or the long way home and start looking in backyards and car ports. 

Let people know you have a problem,...er,...I mean a desire for a certain color and type of grill and let other people help you out. 

This is a great time of year to be on the hunt, go get 'em. 

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »
I use-
Weber
Webber
Charcoal
And with those i'll put
Grill
BBQ
Vintage
Retro
Old
Barbecue
Cooker
Portable
Catalog
Pamphlet
Book
Cookbook
Brochure
On the end
I also refine my searches on eBay to include worldwide
And like Reilly, some of my best finds have been from yard sales where its easy to strike a deal
Our version of CL is Gumtree, once I realized I could search Australia wide it opened up so many more opportunities
Yeah you have to pay courier fees but if ya just gotta have it, what's another $50 when your only paying $20 for the kettle

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
thanks hogsy
i was wondering how you found all the deals
game on!
lol
you all know ive been getting my leads from hogsy
just the other day while having a brew and talkin kettles at hogsy i noticed his dwindling stock
i said you dont have that many grills
i have heaps more
he said yeh i know im not buying at the moment, i find and you buy
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
Yeah I find em AND you drink my beer to celebrate
What's wrong with this picture??
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

jacoblee

• WKC Brave
    • FOCUS North America (Orange County Office)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »
On CL make sure you click by owner. The dealer stuff drives me crazy. Also there are some apps that will alerrt you for your smart phone when something new matches your search description.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
Can you search US wide on CL app or is it only by state/city?
                            WKC Collaborator

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »
Get your wife to search for you. She started this whole addiction.

Calls me at work is this "charcoal grill" the kind you are looking for ?

Black SS Weber was free to the first person to get to their house. Picked up at 9:30 one night.

Search for charcoal grill found it. Not Weber,  not Free, not in the free section of CL either.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:33:34 AM »
Kettle.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 06:38:47 AM »
Also there are some apps that will alert you for your smart phone when something new matches your search description.
Really?  An alert for "Red Weber" would be great.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
Yeah I find em AND you drink my beer to celebrate
What's wrong with this picture??

nothing that i can see  ???
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
Those are some great tips above, and I'm gonna put them to use quick. 

I'm a fan of estate sales, as grills are often underpriced, and the sellers are often ready to deal.  You have to read the ads carefully, though, as grills are often described in strange ways.  I chased down a listing for 'Weber gas charcoal grill' at the urging of an eagle-eyed friend, and it turned out to be a black SS Performer with all the parts for 25 bucks.  Yes, I was happy that day.  I also checked on an estate sale listing for a 'Weber charcoal grill' that turned out to be a sweet '88 red One-Touch Plus.  There was no price on it, so I asked and they invited me to make an offer.  I kicked the tires a bit and said 'Ten?', which they happily took.  Yes, I was happy on that day, too.

I'm no expert by any means, but I can tell you what CL sellers have said they appreciated when I talked with them after the sale.  When replying to an ad, always be friendly and gracious, and always leave your phone number (even if they never call you, it shows that you are sincere).  Also, if you think their asking price is fair, just offer to pay the full amount.  I'm convinced I've scooped kettles (and other CL stuff) from low-ballers and hagglers just because the sellers felt insulted and hustled and wanted to get what they were asking.  So of course if you really don't want to pay it, offer less, but if the price seems fair (or just a little high), I think you increase your chances dramatically by saying, "That's a fair price for a good piece, and I'll gladly pay it as long as everything is in good shape". 

And then, of course, be ready to get to them quick, as sellers are mostly wanting to quickly unload their stuff.  I know that's what I'm after when I sell something on the mighty CL. 
One of the charcoal people.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Is this ok to ask?? What are your best search tips?
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
estatesales.net is a site I use to check estate sales around me. Lots of them may list grills but have no pictures posted so its kind of a crap shoot. There's one lady that runs estate sales who recognizes me now as "that grill guy" after buying a few grill related things from her.
    Also, one of my favorite places to look is in the cookbooks at estate sales. Lots of times the people are older and they kept all of the little brochures and pamphlets that came with their appliances. I've already found one old Charmglow one, I am going to get that in the mail Reilly honestly, and I just think its a matter of time before I turn up some old Weber stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD