Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help getting a new grill  (Read 2184 times)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Help getting a new grill
« on: May 10, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
So I need to buy a Weber 18" and a Jumbo Joe to do testing for a new smaller Slow 'N Sear.  I found an old "Gold" version of the Weber 18" that has the ash pan, but it's discontinued.  So I'm wondering if I can still find it out there somewhere to purchase NEW and if the dimensions of all 18" Weber kettles are fairly consistent.  Also wondering if folks know if the charcoal grate to food grate height is the same for the Jumbo Joe and the 18".  Any help appreciated.  Don't be afraid to hit me with too many details.  8)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Help getting a new grill
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Shoot there was a NIB 18 inch gold here in Vegas on OfferUp but I just checked and it sold.  Thought I could pick it up and do some testing for you :) 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:19:17 PM »
I know you can add the "gold" ash catcher to an OTS 18, if that helps.
I have one and love it. I did read somewhere that the new SJ Jumbos were the same from charcoal grate to cook grate as an 18 but I can't confirm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
I have one and love it. I did read somewhere that the new SJ Jumbos were the same from charcoal grate to cook grate as an 18 but I can't confirm.

Oh really?  Will the ash catcher from a 22 work on the 18?

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »

Oh really?  Will the ash catcher from a 22 work on the 18?
No sir, too big.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »
The cooking grate heights are different. JJ is 3 3/4" to TOP of cooking grate. OTS is 5". Can't speak for consistency of all 18".

I will Guinea pig it for you if need be [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »
So I need to buy a Weber 18" and a Jumbo Joe to do testing for a new smaller Slow 'N Sear.  I found an old "Gold" version of the Weber 18" that has the ash pan, but it's discontinued.  So I'm wondering if I can still find it out there somewhere to purchase NEW and if the dimensions of all 18" Weber kettles are fairly consistent.  Also wondering if folks know if the charcoal grate to food grate height is the same for the Jumbo Joe and the 18".  Any help appreciated.  Don't be afraid to hit me with too many details.  8)
"Weber 18" that has the ash pan, but it's discontinued" What does that mean?  If you need parts, Amazon has them. Warning - as Travis mentioned, the full-size 18 and the Jumbo Joe (JJ) are different and I think the JJ has changed recently.  Good Luck  Luckily for you, the folks here are pretty helpful 8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:36:54 PM by Red Kettle Rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »
I will Guinea pig it for you if need be [emoji41]

I was just thinking the same thing, @Travis  8) . Just send me the Smoke n Sear, @ABCbarbecue , and my two 18 OTG and old school JJ would be more than happy to be a product tester…  ;)  ;D
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:06:35 AM »
I ended up ordering the 18" silver and an aftermarket SS hinged food grate.  I already have a JJ.  Time to do some testing.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 07:34:07 AM »
Sounds like some fun testing - testing with benefits.