Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle/Performer Temp Probe access  (Read 2955 times)

G19

• WKC Brave
Kettle/Performer Temp Probe access
« on: May 04, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
Looking for some suggestions (pictures are great) on how you have your two probe lead wires going to the meat and grate.  On my WSM I did the slot mod to the middle section lip but I am afraid that this will leak too much air on a Kettle.  Not a real big fan of going in through the lid vent but going to try that tonight.  The new WSM's have a nice silicone grommet but that is a big hole to drill.  I am thinking these smaller silicone grommets might work requiring a smaller hole

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle/Performer Temp Probe access
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:21:15 PM »
@G19 I don't recall what the ideal dimensions are but I've been down this road and had to buy the 10-pack already from McMaster-Carr. Red silicone, works with Maverick probes.

PM me your address and I'll send one or two your way, depending on how many holes you intend to drill. Easy to do with a stepped bit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
@G19 I don't recall what the ideal dimensions are but I've been down this road and had to buy the 10-pack already from McMaster-Carr. Red silicone, works with Maverick probes.

PM me your address and I'll send one or two your way, depending on how many holes you intend to drill. Easy to do with a stepped bit.

Does it work with the new maverick probes with the big clunky plastic?

got a link?

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »

Most kind of you and much appreciated.  PM sent

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »

Does it work with the new maverick probes with the big clunky plastic?

got a link?

I know nothing about the new stupid Mavericks with big clunky plastic? But I doubt it would work. These have a 1/4" hole, best for the straight ones a 733 has but I suppose a curved 732's could work?

Here's the link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#1061T13

^^ G19 I'll send you two. ^^
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
Thanks ATS.  The 1/4" opening should work pushing the probe through as opposed to the connector.  Not ideal but a solution.  Is that how your is? 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:07:40 PM »
It would be, if I currently had a grill or smoker that used these ... but yes the size was chosen based on research or some older thread here where someone used it. I added two to a smoker I gave to my brother in law but he hasn't used it yet, and never got around to doing it to mine. Truth is, I only just stumbled upon these leftovers in my garage this week.

I was always afraid of doing the lip mod to my WSM; my skills with a Dremel only quality me for demo work. I just run the probes under the lid edge on my Performer because it doesn't seal great anyway. I'll do this to my mini WSM however.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »

I was always afraid of doing the lip mod to my WSM; my skills with a Dremel only quality me for demo work. I just run the probes under the lid edge on my Performer because it doesn't seal great anyway. I'll do this to my mini WSM however.

I did my WSM with a 3/16" diameter round file and it was a piece of cake really and works perfect.  I am temped to do this with the Performer but concerned of the leaking air but maybe not any different than on the WSM.  I was hoping to hear from someone who did the slot because functionally it works great.  You can carry the meat out with the probes in them and just slip into the slot. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »
I might do it to my Performer's lid instead of its kettle. What do you think about that? My lid has a spot on the lip a good inch wide of missing paint already.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:40:26 PM »
Nothing wrong with the lid but that is a little more demanding on probe wire length because of the movement, just double check that.  Something I thought about trying before drilling is going in through the bottom vents.  The Maverick could hang right on the ash basket handle.  Not as nice as the slot but no issues with Weber on warranty claims if needed. 

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 04:39:51 AM »
I do the lamp nipple mods on my drum smokers/WSM's/Cajun Bandits.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:41:41 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!