Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for a good grill cover.  (Read 5587 times)

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
Looking for a good grill cover.
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »
I am looking for some decent grill covers for my grills. I have a Genesis 2 with the side burner and a SS Performer that I picked up last year. The Weber covers are really not that great. They leak water and have cracked and hardened after  3 years. Anyone have a suggestion on a good alternative. Wayfair seems to have a good cover with vents, but It seems like it would be a bit too narrow for the Genesis and I see nothing for the Perfomers.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Looking for a good grill cover.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
I just bought an BNIB Extra Large Classic Accessories Veranda cover off craigslist for $20 that is very good quality. I got it to cover multiple cookers in my southforty so its just doing its duty, but it has some nice features and if I were in the market for something other than the usual black covers I'd go for them.

Also recently ordered a Yukon Glory Premium cover to fit over my Gateway Drum Smoker clone. Its the size for the Weber 2 burners. Nice heavy duty vinyl with heavy nylon backing.  Another brand that has different shades and certainly as good or better quality and less spendy than weber covers.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Glory-7553-Premium-Genesis/dp/B00D2C0ZX0

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
I have 3 of these and am more than satisfied espcialy if you can Hawkeye them for the price fluctuation!

I go the XXL for my summit gold 6 burner for $22.50!  They have one for the performer for around $35

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73952-Barbecue-Extra-Extra/dp/B000NWAO74?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:25:40 AM »
Thanks. which one did you get for the performer?

nitis

• WKC Brave
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:55 AM »
So you bought a Weber #8701 (the correct cover for the SS Performer) and it cracked and leaked in 3 yrs?

Mine's not as-new anymore but remains fine. Don't know the cover's age before I got the grill. Surely more than 3 yrs however. Gifted another SSP to a friend but not the cover it came with because it had shrunk and cracked. That one might have been original (2004 grill)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:15:10 AM »
Actually the performer cover came wit the grill when I bought it used. So it was never great to begin with. But I am not crazy with the fact that is does not cover the  bottom of the grill and allows water to get into those bottom cross members that rust out.

I bought the Weber cover for the Genesis grill new. It has leaks and after 2 years it started cracking. This year (it's 3rd) It is completely cracked and dried out.

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
Thanks. That Performer cover is designed for the newer, post 2005 Performers. Will it still  fit the older SS models. Im not sure of the dimensions of the newer grills. I know the table height is greater, but that's about it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:00:37 AM »
Nah, Google has a tendency to aggregate all Performer covers. 8701 is for the SS Performers, like so: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8701-Performer-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00004RBE7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

None of the covers for the 2005-later models (or earlier non-gas Performers such as Platinums) will fit.

IMO the bottom shelf will rust simply because it's steel, not because water splashes it. My 900 gasser has a similar metal rod bottom shelf (painted steel) with light surface rust and its cover goes all the way down too.

Just measure the overall dimensions and get a generic cover that does what you need. It won't look great but should protect it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

rmcmann

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:39:22 PM »
Well, just got the Veranda cover today for the Genesis, and it looks great. Very good quality. Should get the Weber one for the Performer soon.  I will have to live with that until  I can find something better. But  right now it is inside waiting to get some minor rust spots touched up before being put out for the season.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »
Weber covers have gone to complete shit. I bought 2 brand new covers last spring. One for my newer performer and one for my Genesis Silver C with side burner. Both covers are already cracked to the point that they have holes in them and get so hard under 50 degrees that they are almost unusable. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. The old covers lasted 10+ years.....these don't last 1?!!  I would wrap a grill in a harbor freight blue tarp with bungie cords before I would ever spend another penny on one of Weber's BS grill covers

I should have bought the ones from Classic Accessories. Lesson learned, won't happen again
-Keith

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
Weber covers have gone to complete shit. I bought 2 brand new covers last spring. One for my newer performer and one for my Genesis Silver C with side burner. Both covers are already cracked to the point that they have holes in them and get so hard under 50 degrees that they are almost unusable. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. The old covers lasted 10+ years.....these don't last 1?!!  I would wrap a grill in a harbor freight blue tarp with bungie cords before I would ever spend another penny on one of Weber's BS grill covers

I should have bought the ones from Classic Accessories. Lesson learned, won't happen again

Are they the new ones or the old ones? because they completely overhauled their covered last spring.
Old ones are a vinyl material that cracks, new ones are more of a fabric that is breathable.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

I just bought an BNIB Extra Large Classic Accessories Veranda cover off craigslist for $20 that is very good quality. I got it to cover multiple cookers in my southforty so its just doing its duty, but it has some nice features and if I were in the market for something other than the usual black covers I'd go for them.

Also recently ordered a Yukon Glory Premium cover to fit over my Gateway Drum Smoker clone. Its the size for the Weber 2 burners. Nice heavy duty vinyl with heavy nylon backing.  Another brand that has different shades and certainly as good or better quality and less spendy than weber covers.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Glory-7553-Premium-Genesis/dp/B00D2C0ZX0

Second the Yukon - I bought this one for my newer performer

Yukon Glory 7455 Premium Cover. Water Resistant Heavy Duty Material, Fits Weber Performer Series Grills (Not for 2015 Models) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMZGVXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_huukxbE6AP2JN

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
I like the Classic Accessories Veranda covers. I've got three of these for some of my kettles and a larger one for my pellet grill. Good quality cover at a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-73422-Kettle-Style-Barbecue/dp/B000HCNEX6
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ