Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow N Sear Review  (Read 8922 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Slow N Sear Review
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
Now that I've gotten to use the Slow N Sear more I think I can give it an honest review. I've used it about 10 times or so with my Weber Kettle 22inch. First off I have to apologize for my comments in the past about the Slow N Sear. I complained about the temperatures not holding properly and totally gave off the impression that there was some serious false advertisement when it came to the unit.

The Slow N Sear does extend the life of your charcoal by quite a bit. There's no comparison really. I tried doing the two zone method with the slow n sear and a different time using the same amount that would fill a slow n sear piled up on the side of the kettle. The Slow N Sear gave me a lot more hours and also made it easier to hold the temperature.

My main issue with using the Slow N Sear is I tried to get my grill hot too fast. If my goal was 250 I'd try to get it there as fast as possible. This made maintaining that temperature very difficult and it's tough to hold a temp using any method. I found if I let the temps creep up which is what is recommended by the slow n sear instructions it worked as advertised. I was even able to walk away from the grill for hours without fear of some crazy temp swings.

I cooked 1 butt, 2 shoulders, 1 whole chicken, 2 racks of ribs, steak, burgers, chicken breasts and various other things. All of the food came out great. The Slow N Sear just makes things easier. It's definitely worth the price and I recommend it to anyone who's been looking at it and not pulling the trigger. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully. Any straying can lead to improper results with how your kettle cooks.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Slow N Sear Review
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
Regarding slower startup, is the intention to put some lit coals over cold ones?

Say you wanted enough heat to sear a steak. How long would it take to get there, and about what would the rest of the grate temp be, away from it?

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:32:18 AM »
Regarding slower startup, is the intention to put some lit coals over cold ones?

Say you wanted enough heat to sear a steak. How long would it take to get there, and about what would the rest of the grate temp be, away from it?

I have gone from a slow cook with the SNS to a hot searing cook.  I just opened up the vents and left the top off for a little bit to let the coals get cranking.  I don't remember how long it took, but think it was a little less time than getting a chimney going would have taken.  I haven't measure the indirect side when using the SNS for reverse sear but can tell you it is quite a bit cooker than the hot side.   My last reverse sear was thick NY strips and the SNS did awesome.  Cooked indirect until 115-120, then seared the steaks on each side on the hot side....and it was hot!  It's a searing machine!  I'm pretty sure I used an almost full chimney of lit KBB then added one our two chunks of wood.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »
To add to my previous post, when I sent from slow and low to hot I think I might have stirred up the coals a bit and moved some hot coals around so it would get more unlit coals going.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 07:06:37 AM »
I find it the same way as @MikeRocksTheRed. It's great for reverse sear. 110-115 on the indirect, 1-1.5 minutes or so on each side for sear. Poof. Done.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »
...The Slow N Sear gave me a lot more hours and also made it easier to hold the temperature...

...I was even able to walk away from the grill for hours without fear of some crazy temp swings...

...The Slow N Sear just makes things easier...

...Any straying can lead to improper results with how your kettle cooks...

I agree it simplifies things quite a bit and frees you from watching the temps constantly, but "straying" is part of the fun
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
I only have 2 cooks now using my Slow N Sear on my 22" Performer and so far I love it.  I did NY Strip steak that was one of the best I have done - first time I did a reverse sear so that could have been part of it.  Also did a chicken quarters cook this past weekend and followed the advice of lighting half a chimney and dumping in and closing down the vents at 270.  It hit 340 then slowly stabilised at 330.  Seems like a winner for sure.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
I'll be honest, I've never used the "Sear"of the SnS, but the "Slow" part works great.  I'm using the 22" SnS on my 26er (they hadn't invented the 26" when I bought mine).

Over the last two weekends I've cooked a pair of 4.5 lb chuckies and and two racks of beef chuck ribs.  It's great that I can fit two disposable half pans in there to catch the drippings.  Once up to temp, I closed the bottom vent completely, kept the top vent at about half, and was able to maintain 250º-275º for about 6 hours without adjustments before adding any more briquettes.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 06:42:06 AM »
I just got one yesterday and haven't had the chance to cook with it, but Man! this thing is built like a tank. For build quality I give it an A+++++

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
Yep. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »
I just got one yesterday

Did you go with the standard SnS, or SnS Plus?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 05:54:41 AM »
I just received my new "Slow N Sear Plus" and "Drip N Griddle Pan" for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill and plan to give it a trial-run in a week or so. 

First Impression was "what a hunk of stainless steel metal"!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 08:59:07 AM »
I just got one yesterday

I got the plus. I like the integrated charccoal grate.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

I just got one yesterday

I got the plus. I like the integrated charccoal grate.

[emoji106]🏾.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

thinkblue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »
I have been reading into the SNS.   What is the big benefit of it.   I use the coal baskets with a separate water pan.  I know the SNS is all in one unit.  I also have a smokenator. I use both no problem regulating temps. 

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Weber Kettle Club mobile app