Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this '76-'77 22" kettle too far gone?  (Read 5156 times)

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
Is this '76-'77 22" kettle too far gone?
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:34:56 AM »
I picked up my father's ~40 year old kettle the other day. I was hoping to use it primarily as a pizza oven with the addition of the Kettle Pizza (or a DIY version) but it is in rougher shape than I suspected. What do you think... too far gone or clean it up and give it a whirl? 

After browsing this site for the last few days I think I'm hooked and may expand my planned use for the kettle. I have a Weber Genesis gasser and a Masterbuilt smoker... charcoal should round those out nicely, increasing my options.

-Jon A.

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
Re: Is this '76-'77 22" kettle too far gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:37:06 AM »
Based on research here, I think it is a '76 or '77.

jbenavidez2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:45:33 AM »
That's an heirloom, I'd use that as my goto cooker with extreme pride.
Looking for Blues

Currently have: 26.75 Gold; 22.5 SS Performer (Red Mist); 22.5 Mastertouch (Ivory); 18 Sam Adams (Copper); SJS; Jumbo Joe; 18.5 WSM; Genesis EP-330 LP (Copper); Summit S-450 NG; Fireplace; Firepit; Summit 400 Flat Top; Simpsons 22.5 Gold

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:47:26 AM »
I don't see anything in your pictures that shows it could be in bad shape. What matters is:

1) leg sockets (will it stay up and not fall over)
2) intakes (do they spin, do they seal)
3) got holes we can't see?
4) grate straps (yours are rusting through to the outside, but are they still secure?)

Even if you don't keep or use it, you gotta cook at least one more time on it!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »
What's wrong with it Jon? Do you have other pics? Maybe consider using some form of charcoal baskets for high heat cooks as to not damage it any further, but other than that, that's a cool looking cooker you got man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:38:38 AM »
Looks and sounds like a definite keep for sure. Heck, even if it has some of the troubled items, I would definitely restore it and keep/use it. Pretty rare to get something with a history like that.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
What's wrong w/ it? Looks good to me.

Need inside bowl and outside leg socket pics to judge structural integrity.  :D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:57:12 AM »
PS- you can't buy fade like that at the store! That takes years and years of sun drenching- about 40 yrs worth. Clean it up, use it, and pass it on to the next gen.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »
What everybody else has said.  I'd get a cheapo to cook on as your pizza oven so that you could keep the one with the memories from being punished with the extreme high heat used in pizza cooking.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 03:46:57 PM »
You'd be crazy not to make that the center piece of your collection, and an everyday cooker!

Something with that kind of history and sentiment deserves a place of honor.

Every grill I have has years of someone else's memories and several years of mine, I only wish I had a family heirloom like that.

RRR has never been truer

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 05:41:45 PM »
Well, it looks like it is unanimous. I guess we can consider the pics above the "before" pics.  I think I will clean it up as best I can, put a new grate in it and see what it'll do.  I will post more pics after I clean it up. 

Thanks for the input and encouragement!

-Jon A.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 05:54:46 PM »
I would say YES!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
Well, it looks like it is unanimous. I guess we can consider the pics above the "before" pics.  I think I will clean it up as best I can, put a new grate in it and see what it'll do.  I will post more pics after I clean it up. 

-Jon A.

Kettle looks like it's got many more years of service left in it. It's got a sharp looking patina that takes years to earn. I've got a '74-75 fade that has some patina freckles. BTW, what condition is the cooking grate in? Original? Reason I ask is, those old 70s and 80s grates are better built and can be cleaned and restored to cookworthy status again. Unless you absolutely want a flip up grate, those old school solid non flips are built like tanks.

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »

-Jon A.

Kettle looks like it's got many more years of service left in it. It's got a sharp looking patina that takes years to earn. I've got a '74-75 fade that has some patina freckles. BTW, what condition is the cooking grate in? Original? Reason I ask is, those old 70s and 80s grates are better built and can be cleaned and restored to cookworthy status again. Unless you absolutely want a flip up grate, those old school solid non flips are built like tanks.

Here is an interior shot showing the grate.  My wife is a bit of a germ-a-phobe and is insisting on a new grate.  I'll hang on to the original and try to clean it up and some point down the road.  I was thinking the flip-up grate might be pretty handy so I think I will pick one up.