Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Lid Fit on New Premium  (Read 3940 times)

George

• Happy Cooker
Kettle Lid Fit on New Premium
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
Guys/Gals,

The new kettle I bought has a few nice features that I really thought were worthy improvements over my old defunct wood handled Weber. The one thing thats really bugging me though is the fact that the lid doesn't seem to "sit" right on the bowl. If I  run my fingers under the lid edge while its on the bowl there are definitely wider and narrower gaps between the edge of the bowl and the lid...in fact the lid seems to move around on the bowl whereas on my older unit it simply went "clunk" and was down right and tight.  It's like the bowl is slightly out of shape, or maybe both, or maybe the manufacturing tolerances on the newer units are looser, less exacting than they used to be. Maybe it's simply mine and I can return to HomeDepot easily enough for an exchange or maybe thats just the way it is.  I just don't know, ergo the question ----> Is this a fairly normal/common situation on the newer units?

G
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:32:11 PM by George »

George

• Happy Cooker
Re: Kettle Lid Fit on New Premium
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
I believe this little mod will fix any issues that might have...but I'm still interested in knowing about factory fit...

http://www.bbqsmokermods.com/product-p/kett-g.htm

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 12:01:50 PM »
I have the same model.  When you you first get them there may be some air leakage.  The more cooks you do the tighter it will get.  Basically it needs to get gunked up a litte bit under the rim.  You can measure the lid to see if it is out of round.  It can be corrected but giving it a slight "bear hug".  Be gentle when you do this.  Give it some time.  It will tighten up.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »
The more cooks you do the tighter it will get.  Basically it needs to get gunked up a litte bit under the rim.  You can measure the lid to see if it is out of round.  It can be corrected but giving it a slight "bear hug".  Be gentle when you do this.  Give it some time.  It will tighten up.
^^^
What he said. Measure to make sure it's not "out of round".  If so, and you have to bear hug it, return it. Otherwise, you just need to cook, cook, cook & she'll clunk for you.  Weber's stamping dies are very precise units, so it wouldn't be a manufacturing fault.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:08:43 PM »
Sorry for this trouble!  As others have said, I'd take a tape measure and check the lid and the bowl to make sure that they are not out of round.  The measurement doesn't really matter-- just that you get the same number as you measure the kettle in 3 or 4 spans.  Also, if you have a 'true' flat surface (maybe a stone countertop?) you could set the lid (maybe the bowl too) on that to check to see if it's not quite flat. 

In any case, on a brand new unit coming right out of factory packaging, if there is anything not right about it, I'd make a friendly call to Weber CS and see what they say.  I've heard lots of stories of them replacing parts that were slightly damaged or out of round, and I'd expect them to make this right as well.  On the whole, Weber CS is awesome, so approach them with patience and kindness and I think you'll be very pleased (and if they give you a hard time, you can always call back at another time and find someone who is more friendly). 

All of my kettles were purchased used, and as others have said sometimes there is a bit of 'wiggle' between the lid and bowl (I find this to be especially true on the Performers-- I think that a round/flat bowl can get tweaked when it's bolted into the frame).  And as others have said, that 'wiggle' goes away after a few cooking/smoking sessions.  You'll be back to your old "clunk" in no time.
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
Are you talking about the fact that lid is loose on the kettle and moves side to side? If so, this is pretty normal with newer kettles. However, if your lid is rocking on the bowl then you'll have to tweak it back or get a replacement.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

George

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
Thanks guys. On your suggestions I did do a "flatness" check on the lid and measured the bowl. All seems to be copacetic, no quirky oval bowl shape and no lid rocking on the flat surface. In doing so I realized what had me going was the lateral slop between the lid as it sits on the bowl (as mentioned above by pbe gummy bear). BUT that "lateral slop" is equal all the way around regardless of lid position. In other words I can turn the lid and put it anywhere on the bowl and the same amount of lateral slop exits. (Lol, I'm sure I'd like to think that Weber actually designed in that lateral tolerance to accommodate the build up you guys mentioned as the "cure"!)

I'm pretty sure we're good but I probably will just give a quick call to CS and chat to make sure I haven't missed anything.

BTW I dig the concept of the "bear hug correction". I relate since I worked for the National Park Service in both Glacier and Yosemite as a wildlife biologist on their Bear Management programs. I'll simply say "Black Bear Hug" and NOT "G-Bear Hug"!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:00:17 AM by George »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
George what you're describing about there being slop no matter how it's turned is like how my '92 is. It's like they're different diameters. And yet it leaks only a little when smoking. I have other kettles that fit better however. My bear hugs do nothing.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

George

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 07:59:06 AM »
George what you're describing about there being slop no matter how it's turned is like how my '92 is. It's like they're different diameters. And yet it leaks only a little when smoking. I have other kettles that fit better however. My bear hugs do nothing.

Tell you what AtS, I'm calling the people from the link I posted just after my OP and ask about gasket kits for the 22.5 Kettles. I'll report back...I'm not saying I'm going to install one but I'm curious about what they have to say about availability, materials and most particularly the RTF silicone adhesive used to "glue" the gaskets in place (food safety and ability to deal with bowl temps).

G

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 08:17:27 AM »
Lots of side to side on my Performer. No problems.

I just went out and tested on 5 kettles. The 70's stuff fits pretty snug. All the newer kettles have the side to side action.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:20:43 AM by AZ Monsoon »

George

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
....The 70's stuff fits pretty snug. All the newer kettles have the side to side action.

I think my original MBH was of that vintage AZ, very used to that snug feel, muscle memory if you will, so when I set this puppy down on the new bowl that first time I went "wtf...?" and the brain ran wild...

Assuming it doesn't leak smoke/heat or fail to stop the burn when closed off I'll get used to it...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:28:00 AM by George »