Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Used performer prices.  (Read 6538 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
Used performer prices.
« on: April 20, 2016, 10:21:51 PM »
I know this is a loaded question but what's a fair price for a used performer?  I found one locally that is green newer style w/ the plastic table for $120. Pictures look good, he said the grills are dirty from use but otherwise in great shape.  The ad says it's a third generation with a second generation lid. Looks like it has 2 charcoal baskets and a cover.  Just looking for input from the experts.  Thanks in advance. 

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Used performer prices.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
Dark green or Crate & Barrel light green?

$120 is certainly fair for a performer. In some areas (and seasons), a $120 performer would sell very fast.

If the cover is in good shape, that's a nice bonus. Those are $40 new.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:59:03 PM »
I think I saw the Performer you are talking about. While cheap ones pop up from time to time, $120 for a Gen 3 gas Performer is a really good deal. While I am a huge fan of the dark green color, some do not think as much. If you want to spend a little extra this one is also available http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/app/5545376737.html. I personally have both, and truth be told like the dark green better, but most would disagree with me. If you look into the one you described, I would ask about the reason it has a different lid. Maybe I am just curious, but seems weird that it would be swapped. The thermometer location on the later ones are located in the lid rather than the handle so maybe he just preferred that location and had both??

The table is a super convenient addition to the regular kettle. The gas feature also makes starting very convenient.

Hope it helps..

Tom

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:38 AM »
I think that's more than a fair price for complete performer. Make sure the grates are in good condition, the table has no cracks, the cover has no tears, and the propane starter works. If not, use it for bargaining. You're probably dealing with a knowledgable seller if they know performer generations.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:37 AM »
From what I've been seeing locally $120 is priced about right if everything is working.   It's a great investment.  If you take care of it with even marginal care (once a year thorough cleaning) you'll always be able to get most of that money back. Every year you use it compared to a gasser that will disintegrate over the course of 5 years and be worthless, you'll be saving lots of money.

Giving any of my friends advice on buying a grill I always recommend a Craigslist Performer. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:34:52 AM »
Thanks for the input.  It is the dark green not the crate and barrel green.  I figure it can't hurt to check it out and go for there.  The price seemed fair to me.  Hopefully it will fit in my wife's Toyota Highlander without having to take it apart.  I was just concerned with the fact that it has a lid off of a different grill, I did not know if that was cause for concern.  I guess not considering it looks to match the base. 

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:26 AM »
This is the link to the one I am looking at:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5548671872.html

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 05:49:13 AM »
This is the link to the one I am looking at:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5548671872.html

Looks like its in fantastic shape.  I'd hop on it.  you'll love the gas assist and the cover looks to be in good shape as well.

I'd totally be all over it.  You can probably get it for $100 and when you think of the cost per year, that's like nothing for the time you'll own it.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:55:14 AM »
That's a really good deal IMO.

Remember Jeepin79 that many parts are replaceable, configurable or rejiggered on Webers. What matters is the condition of what's being presented and not the seller's artistic achievement or parts swapping. In other words it's hard to disguise hidden damage on these. It's either whole or it isn't. Good luck!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
$120 is a very good price if it's in good condition and there's nothing wrong with the grates.    Sure, cheaper ones pop up now and then, quite a few here got ours for $75 or less, but those are outliers.   Basically, if you are willing to wait, perhaps quite some time, something else will pop up.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:13:08 AM »
I'd pay $120 with no grates and no charcoal bins if it's a color or style I wanted. That stuff, and sweeps etc. are cheap to replace, kettles and lids aren't.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »
I just got a blue performer off CL, looks brand new for $75.00, I have wanting one for awhile now
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
That's a really good deal IMO.

Remember Jeepin79 that many parts are replaceable, configurable or rejiggered on Webers. What matters is the condition of what's being presented and not the seller's artistic achievement or parts swapping. In other words it's hard to disguise hidden damage on these. It's either whole or it isn't. Good luck!

I agree.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Here in the desert,  $120 for a complete, gas assist Performer is a decent price. We see them for less once in a while, but people usually ask more than that. Especially if it isn't black.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »
Went and looked at it and bought it.  I offered him $100 for it but he showed me an email where someone else offered him $150 for it.  He said I sent him my message first and made arrangements for me to come see it so I had first crack at it.  Anyway everything works as it should.  The only issues I found are a small chip on the rim of the lid, a very small ding on the lid, and the charcoal bin is melted and a little deformed on the side closest to the kettle.   The other thing I noticed is the air control or whatever it's called on the lid is super loose and spins freely.  Is there a way to fix this?  Also where is the best place to pick up a new charcoal bin?