Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Have you done a hot and fast brisket on the WSM?  (Read 5067 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Have you done a hot and fast brisket on the WSM?
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:34:28 AM »
Got a big cook coming up for a friends graduation party in 2 weekends. I'm going to do a practice brisket this weekend. Based on timing, I think my best option is to do a hot and fast brisket.

I've done a couple 10lbers on the kettle that came out mediocre (I've concluded they were pulled too early). With that experience I hope I can avoid that.

So..any tips to share for a hot and fast brisket?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Have you done a hot and fast brisket on the WSM?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 03:36:00 AM »
@jdefran

Its how I roll.

Describe your cook.

Do you inject?
Are you cooking a trimmed flat or whole packer?
Are you adding any flavorful liquid when you foil?
How long do you let it rest?

Timing?? Go by temp, color and feel. Its done when its done and all are different.

I'm cooking American Wagyu flats in 3.5-4.5 hours.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:32:44 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »
The cook will be very simple. No injection, salt and pepper rub, wrap in butcher paper once desired color is achieved. I was planning on cooking between 325-350. I reckon I'll rest it a couple hours so I can make burnt ends from the point (guess I shoulda mentioned I'm using a trimmed packer)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:15:47 AM »
@swamprb. Never done one hot n fast, but let us know how it turns out.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
@swamprb. Never done one hot n fast, but let us know how it turns out.

That brisket box was a 1st Place winner and Grand Champion a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 03:50:08 AM »
Brisket turned out pretty good, my best one yet. I cooked this brisket to practice for a cook for a friends graduation party next weekend. Keeping temps around 325 took a little work but no biggie.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »
Hot and Fast is the best on the WSM, IMHO.  I had better success in my 18" vs the 22" in keeping the temp of the WSM in the needed 350- 375 range.   

With the side door propped open, I spend a lot of time with the 22" trying to keep the temp up, on the 18" I need to focus on keeping the temp from getting too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 09:47:59 AM »
@Erictag Would you mind summarizing your hot and fast brisket process? I thought when my smoker hit 350 the brisket was done for...but you're mentioning 375  :o

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »
Nice job @jdefran !

@Erictag You'll never have to worry about propping the door open to get HnF temps on the big bullet using a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket.

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
@jdefran -  I dont have any original thougthts on the process.  I use the High Heat recipe on the Virtual Bullet site.  http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html .     This was the first brisket I smoked that turned out perfect, and it has never let me down. 

I had tried several 10-12 hour cooks with briskets that failed previously (not on a WSM), and when I brought home the brisket to try on my new (at the time) WSM, my wife laughed at me.  She had seen me do the day-long smokes that ended in ruined brisket, and could not understand why I spent the money on another slab of brisket.

The first High Heat brisket made her a believer, and she and the kids then turned into raving fans of my brisket efforts.

@swamprb - I had not heard of the Smokers Vortex.  I have a Vortex for my kettles.  Same company?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
@jdefran
@swamprb - I had not heard of the Smokers Vortex.  I have a Vortex for my kettles.  Same company?

No different company @Erictag

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/vortex-charcoal-basket-for-22-kettle-smoker

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
That Vortex looks like a winner.  Thank you for the tip @swamprb !