Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Psst!!! Wanna see my Johnson...ville?  (Read 5113 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Psst!!! Wanna see my Johnson...ville?
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
Found this one on Craigslist-Green Bay.    "O" code, two handle, daisy wheels.  For $10, I figured it was definitely worth the 2hr. drive each way.  He!!, even got to spend a few hours with some family while there.

On the ride home, I started contemplating the direction I was gonna go with it. Seemed such a shame to have a redhead, with a Johnsonville tattoo, be so dang plain.  Stock form wasn't gonna do, time to customize.

Got ahold of @zavod44 about making some one of a kind handles for it.  Poor Brian, it seems like I bounced a million ideas off him (he'll probably never answer another PM or text from me). We came up with Birdseye Maple.  Current Johnsonville logo.  "Since 1945" in the same font as was used in some of their advertising.

Needed a more substantial base. Switched out the 3-wire triangle.  Trimmed an inch off the back legs & added some custom 8" wheels.  Removed the Weber inserts & painted red.  Painted white under where the Weber script was gonna be.  Bought some red pushnuts from Ace & switched out inserts from the Weber pushnuts.

The bowl was in good shape other than needing a cleaning. Replaced the damper hardware (dampers all said "O", but had nuts & bolts holding them on-???).  Lid had some rash & a couple chips, so I cleaned & touched up those spots with red caliper paint  (close match + higher heat limit).  Added a @zavod44 damper tab. Put in a new charcoal grate, which I had unearthed in storage.  Bought a hinged cooking grate for $11 (50% Ace coupon).

Thanks for looking, even if the title almost scared you away.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
Re: Psst!!! Wanna see my Johnson...ville?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
Looks really sharp! Where's the brauts?

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »
That'd make a beauty sausage smoker.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
SWEET! love the red wheel insert and cap nuts.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »
Outstanding!

... dampers all said "O", but had nuts & bolts holding them on-???...

It's my understanding that bolt-on dampers (hell, daisy wheels in '92!) and 3-wire triangle = the Economy Kettle. Not surprising Johnsonville saved a buck for a promotional kettle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Great job looks schmick!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 07:14:31 PM »
thats pretty sweet
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
Nice job, great improvements!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 10:42:05 PM »
Nice! Lucky find...I,  unlike some really dig logo kettles....it's a company using a true American Icon to promote their product and relate what they have to American life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 10:47:55 PM »
What could be more USa, an classic American outdoor cooking machine and an American favorite Johnsonville (Beer Brats for me).   Great find and restore.                               SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 03:23:57 AM »
Now, that's a head turner! Looks great
Christopher
2016 MT

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 04:40:18 AM »
Great job!! Looks fantastic

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »
What kind of caliper paint did you use, and how does it hold up to the heat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:25:11 PM »
That is awesome! I especially like the 8" wheel conversion, that has me thinking...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 07:50:35 PM »
What kind of caliper paint did you use, and how does it hold up to the heat?

Got it at an AutoZone. Good to 900F.  The more layers you spray, the brighter the shade.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞