Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for an 18" change  (Read 2648 times)

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
Looking for an 18" change
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:10:57 PM »
I just secure my 1st CL project. I found DI (2007) black 18 that is in good shape. Small ding in the bowl, the rest is near flawless. I am hoping to go full on MT conversion with this.

I am looking for input specific to this concept. Any/all will be appreciated. I have looked through several previous posts and find bits and pieces but I am not able to find anyone who has gone all the way with an 18" MT conversion and documented the project.

My main focus for upgrade is the lid bale and  switching from the ash tray to the ash catcher. If anyone has part numbers that worked well,  links here in WKC that I missed while looking, or any other source to share I would love to incorporate your efforts as  opposed to reinventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance
JBird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Looking for an 18" change
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
I've built one and it's one of my favorite cookers. It's efficient and super fun to cook on. It's the short one in the front. What do you want to know?

and a close up of the top. I had a thread about this before but the links were dead. I should really stop hotlinking to facebook.  :-[

Everything on it is OEM Weber- lid bale is from an 18.5" OTP, thermometer and heat shield is from a MT.

Lid looks like it's still available here for ~$25 which is a smoking deal for parts that are discontinued. https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/brands/weber/one-touch-platinum-18-1-2-inch.html You'll need parts 8-14.

This outlines how the add the ash catcher. Note the new style ash catcher is a different part number.
weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:29:59 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 07:26:19 AM »

Who let those guys into the club?

:o
Dude, relax your chicken.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Looking for an 18" change
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
I made one too as I was inspired by gummi - picked up a cheap 18 OTG and installed a thermo and lid bale. I put in the craycort CI grates. It holds temps great and really shines in making awesome grill marks!

I did the thermo a little different - someone had done the bezel/tell true mod on a 22 here on the forum - worked just fine on the 18.

Here is the full thread on my build

18.5 Mastertouch
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=17157

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
I have an 18" "G" with a Cajun Bandit Stacker and rotis ring. I added the One-Touch ash can from a 2015 18".

The vent cutouts are @ 1/4" larger than the ring assembly, but I deal with it.

I really wanted a Red SJ and realized my chances of landing one was slim to none, and I had cut a set of legs to go the off road mod, but wasn't feeling it, so I eventually settled on a set of Cajun Bandit legs and have been pleased.

Its much more stable with the Stacker and ring this way.

I've been meaning to add a Tel-Tru thermo and lid holder, but other projects always pop up! 

Love all the others mods on theirs! Very nice touches!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
... I added the One-Touch ash can from a 2015 18". ...

Wait -- last year's 18 could be had with an ash can?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »
... I added the One-Touch ash can from a 2015 18". ...

Wait -- last year's 18 could be had with an ash can?

The premium kettles in Europe have them.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Normal_J_Bird

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
Thank You all for the helpful responses.

I think I have my plan together. Gonna start it off with a good bath, make sure nothing hiding, then order parts.

I will post pics as I get it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk