Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slight pitting on redhead '92 MT lid  (Read 922 times)

Ashcan Ted

• Smokey Joe
Slight pitting on redhead '92 MT lid
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Any solutions to repairing a few very small pitting spots on the lid of a redhead?  My '92 MT is in great shape but I'm trying to reach close to full restoration.  I searched the old forums and only came across some discussion about red cal paint when you're ready to paint.  These spots are only a few MMs across.  Any guidance?  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Slight pitting on redhead '92 MT lid
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:10:30 AM »
A picture might help, but generally there isn't much you can do about missing paint on a cooker, especially if you want it to match. "Lookers" not subject to heat have some more options.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Slight pitting on redhead '92 MT lid
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:29:36 AM »
Red caliper paint would work best if you plan on cooking on your MT.  Spray the paint on a fine brush (Q-tip works also) & paint in the pits. Multiple coats will fill the pit close to level, but will become brighter red each coat (caliper paint will darken a little with heat over time).  Once dry, just run a razor blade around painted pits to get excess paint off the good porcelain.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞