Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Keeping low temps for smoked sausage?  (Read 3548 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Keeping low temps for smoked sausage?
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:22:31 AM »
I'm looking to try smoking my own kielbasa for the first time which I understand needs a temp between 160 and 170.  I've never used my WSM for such low temps.  Does anyone have any experience doing low temps for sausages with a WSM?  I'm looking for tips on how to arrange the coals and how much to light to start with.  FYI, I do have a BBQ Guru so that should help regulate.

Thanks.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Keeping low temps for smoked sausage?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:03:12 AM »
So does the Guru go that low? If so, you're golden, right?

Which size WSM? The 18 will run that low if it seals up OK and has about 1 layer or less of charcoal. Won't maintain that for more than a couple hours of course without more fuel.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »
The BBQ Guru (Cyber-Q) will go down to 32 degrees, so that's not an issue.  My smoker is a 22" with a Cajun Bandit door that seals pretty well, so I don't expect there to be too much problem in the way of airflow.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
Mcgolden I've used my 18 WSM in the 150-170 range for bacon. It holds very well. I think i start with a mini-minion with around 20-25 lit briquettes and 25 unlit with a hunk or 2 of smoke wood. It's easier than you think to keep the temps low.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
Looks like it was 15 lit on the warmer days and 25 on cold days. Just mess with it.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:44:20 AM »
Will do.  Thanks.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
I've read a snake in the charcoal basket can help maintain lower temps

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:41:54 PM »
How long do you need to smoke for? Have you thought about using the snake method?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791