Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 105519 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #465 on: April 06, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
Before this announcement I really thought there was going to be a huge number of Performers to hit Craig's List with folks trading up.  Don't really see that happening now but maybe there are folks out there with incredible wealth that are gonna trade up.  Just don't see a whole lot of these selling.  An interesting poll would be the results of the closest sized Kamado Joe at its retail price vs closest size BGE at its current retail price vs the SCG at its current retail price.  Which do you think would get the most votes on here and if the same poll was posted on BBQ Brethren.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #466 on: April 06, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
Gummie I think they mean insulated from the outer layer, not charcoal isolated from food.

I realize what I said was misleading. I meant that there was a second kettle bowl wall ("heat shield") around the fire box in addition to the ss dish heat shield. The two walls don't look sealed to each other.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »

You mean this?...

"It terminates, open-ended, at the lower coal grate position allowing hot air to be trapped between the outer and inner walls."

Dude, relax your chicken.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #468 on: April 06, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »

You mean this?...

"It terminates, open-ended, at the lower coal grate position allowing hot air to be trapped between the outer and inner walls."

Correct.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jbenavidez2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #469 on: April 06, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Bet you anything the $1500 version is without a table and the $1750 version comes with a table and/ or basket storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nailed it on the head?  8)
Looking for Blues

Currently have: 26.75 Gold; 22.5 SS Performer (Red Mist); 22.5 Mastertouch (Ivory); 18 Sam Adams (Copper); SJS; Jumbo Joe; 18.5 WSM; Genesis EP-330 LP (Copper); Summit S-450 NG; Fireplace; Firepit; Summit 400 Flat Top; Simpsons 22.5 Gold

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2016, 12:04:15 PM »
Wheres a video showing how to reload fuel past the grill grate, past the diffuser and not having a mess on your hands...

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »

That's the Rapidfire® Variable Insulation™

Weber's innovative Rapidfire® Variable Insulation™ allows for the air insulation to be controlled by the placement of the movable charcoal grate.

By moving the grate up, the "double walled" insulation helps the grill to remain warm while allowing you to get the perfect sear on your meats. By moving the grate down, the heated air is trapped and helps maintain temperatures during your long smokes.

;D

Dude, relax your chicken.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
Personally I have no need for it. Got a few 22s, an 18, and a 22 WSM. Have figured out how to control temps pretty good at this point. Can smoke in any of them, can sear in all but my WSM, can even grill at very hot temps in my WSM.
That being said, if I was in the market for an "Egg" cooker, smoker, grill or whatever else those things do, I wouldn't think twice about buying the new summit charcoal grill. I spend frivolous amounts of money weekly on things I don't need at target cause I am an impulse buyer, buy $20 a lb coffee, shoot my guns pretty often which gets very expensive. I could easily save $100 a month and pay for it in cash in a little over a years time. Even better, I could buy it now by opening a new credit card with 0% for 18 months and pay it off that way. But I just don't have a need for it at this time.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #473 on: April 06, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
Wheres a video showing how to reload fuel past the grill grate, past the diffuser and not having a mess on your hands...

these insulated cookers run for weeks on a single cup of charcoal... at least that's how the BGE snobs make it sound :P

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #474 on: April 06, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
I like the engineering of the L-shaped vents at the bottom of the bowl in the summit, as it seems it would provide the OT system a more refined method of air control than the existing vents.  I'll likely steal that idea from them and use it on a beater kettle.
Uncommon sense seeker

MikeLucky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #475 on: April 06, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »
So, I have devised a plan...  I'm going to get that vent and that thermo to put on my performer... Maybe find another thing or two to Frankenstein onto my performer as well... then, once the "Genesis Charcoal" comes out, I'll give them my $800 and add it to my family... assuming it comes in crimson, of course. :)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
Skimming through as many social media places and forums as I can find so far, and the overall reaction is "great looking grill, terrible price point.  Should be $999."  Most folks are not seeing the value compared to a BGE.  Time will tell, I know, but I expected to see a lot more positive reaction than I have seen so far. 
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
...I'll be curious to see if charcoal efficiency is as good as most Kamados. Also I'm going to be curious about how long it'll be able to run going low and slow.

Would 15 hours on 3.25 cups of charcoal qualify as "...good as most Kamados"?

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/summit-weber-charcoal-grill.html

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #478 on: April 06, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »
The grill grate as well as the diffuser have the flip sides in them in case you need to reload but...

If you set the grill up properly, you won't have to reload charcoal.  I've never had to reload. Most of the time after long smokes I have unused charcoal left in the bottom of the bowl.
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #479 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »

these insulated cookers run for weeks on a single cup of charcoal... at least that's how the BGE snobs make it sound :P

Maybe a charcoal ring for a minion? Where is the tool to open the diffuser to reload? The ad says easy fuel loading for longer cooks :o