Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question for owners with the new Mastertouch grate system  (Read 4794 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Question for owners with the new Mastertouch grate system
« on: February 23, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
How do you like the new gourmet grate system vs the one with the simple two side hinged grate?

Do you feel like the new system is gimmicky or cumbersome in any way in relation to the older style?

If you have no intention of removing the round center grate is it more of a pain to remove to adjust the coals or clean than the simpler one?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Question for owners with the new Mastertouch grate system
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
I have one and mainly use it when I am using my vortex and with the gourmet griddle.  My normal grate was starting to sag in the middie from the super high heat of the vortex.    I'd probably stick with my normal grate if I don't need the center removed.  It is easy to pop the middle out when you are cleaning the grate with a wire brush, although it might just be the specific grate brush I have.  It has brushes that really get down in between and under the rails.  You do have to be careful when taking moving that grate in and out of the grill.  So I would say that unless you are using a vortex for super high heat or plan on getting any of the griddle accesories it probably isn't worth it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 03:39:28 PM »
What Mike said about the Vortex, the heat from a vortex will kill a grate quick, so I also like that I can remove it during high heat cooks.

I also like that it's a little heavier gauge than the standard grate, but I don't use it for any of the inserts. Also, it is a little more cumbersome to have to deal with, but that's pretty minor.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
If you have no intention of removing the round center grate is it more of a pain to remove to adjust the coals or clean than the simpler one?
it's a little more of a pain, you have to do something with the center part or it just falls out when you remove the cooking grate.

i set it on the concrete briefly while i do whatever, so it's not a big deal for me. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 06:51:09 AM »
Last night I had to take my gourmet grate out to start a chimney...at the same time I has to take my grate out of my 26er.  The 22 gourmet grate felt like it weighed more than the grate in my 26er.  I knew it was a heavier gauge grate, but I hadn't really paid that much attention until last night.  I'll go out and take some pics of the gourmet grate vs my 22 hinged grate so you can see the difference.  The gourmet grate definitely give you better grill marks if that is what you are looking for even without the cast iron center insert.   
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
I like it. I have the sear insert which I use a lot, as well as the CI pan which doesn't see a ton of use but it's nice when needed. Great for the vortex, just pop the middle out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »
The gourmet grate is 8.2 lbs vs the non gourment hinged grate which is 4.5 lbs.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »

The gourmet grate is 8.2 lbs vs the non gourment hinged grate which is 4.5 lbs.

Whoa. I knew it was heavier but I didn't know it was that much. I need one like I need another hole in my head but if I ever do have to replace one of my 22's I might just get one.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »
What everyone is saying is true.  It is heavier.  The 2 piece design makes it difficult to move and hang easily.  I kinda wish I had the hinged grate instead.  Anyone wanna trade?
-Custom SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44, and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
Bigger diameter rungs on the Gourmet to me means uneven air flow and more heat to the meat via those rungs during low and slow cooks. So I only use it when cooking with an insert or the vortex for wings. WNC is bang on when he says a vortex will kill a normal grate.....in a hurry. I think it would kill the handle welds of an MBH too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:01:46 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 03:49:46 AM »
Are the new Gourmet Master Touch grates the same as the old gourmet grates?  Anyone have a side by side comparison they can post?

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 05:04:46 AM »
Are the new Gourmet Master Touch grates the same as the old gourmet grates?  Anyone have a side by side comparison they can post?
The gourmet grates themselves are fairly new. At this point we're still on the first generation of them, so if you've seen one, you've seen them all. (Or want to see them all?  ;)

As to their functionality, I'd agree that the center section popping out when you take the grate off for lighting/pouring coals can be a bit a pain. But, it's not like you don't know it's going to happen. Just take it out first, or set the whole thing aside. I like the heavy gauge of it. I think the complaint about more/uneven air during low and slow sounds a little ridiculous. I can't possibly imagine it's an issue. I like mine (if you couldn't tell), and would recommend it.
Growing family = growing kettles!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 05:42:54 AM »
Bigger diameter rungs on the Gourmet to me means uneven air flow and more heat to the meat via those rungs during low and slow cooks. So I only use it when cooking with an insert or the vortex for wings. WNC is bang on when he says a vortex will kill a normal grate.....in a hurry. I think it would kill the handle welds of an MBH too.

If you have your probe clip into the grate, I would think it would pick up any heat difference if in fact the thicker rungs are conducting a little more heat.  I'd say its not an issue though as I think that while you do have more metal conducting heat over your hot spot while smoking you have the same thick rungs over the cool zones counter acting it.  I'm not sure that the rungs are that much bigger to where they would affect airflow.  A lot of the increased weight comes from the circular bars that are added to make the gourmet system work as two seperate peices, the outer ring and the inner ring.  I don't think I've smoke anything yet with my 22 gourmet grate since my 26er has been my go to smoker, so its very possibly you could be on to something.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
I initially liked it and bought all of the inserts and 5 extra grates when they went on clearance.  It's well built but the footprint of the inserts are relatively small. I ended up going back to my stainless grates after it started rusting and and use my old cast iron pans If I want to sear something.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »

I initially liked it and bought all of the inserts and 5 extra grates when they went on clearance.  It's well built but the footprint of the inserts are relatively small. I ended up going back to my stainless grates after it started rusting and and use my old cast iron pans If I want to sear something.

Most of y'all may already know this, but it really is something to consider. Without a doubt, any plated grate is going to eventually rust if exposed to flames, whether it's over a slow n sear, a pizza oven kit, or you simply don't want to be limited to extreme high heat searing over the middle cast iron insert. The stainless grate that sits on my Performer was a great investment, especially now that I have a KettlePizza, and thankfully my big kettle came with one.