Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY cart ideas (besides using performer table)  (Read 8630 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
DIY cart ideas (besides using performer table)
« on: February 04, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
Although I've only used my WSM once I can tell the ability to move it around and store it away will be an issue. Being a cheap skate I would prefer to build something outta lumber. I visualize a means to hang the lid, still allow the cover to fit, able to roll over grass.

Anyone happen to build something along these lines?

@Troy Thanks for the section!  8)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: DIY cart ideas (besides using performer table)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:53 PM »
Putting casters on my WSM is the best decision I ever made.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »
Putting casters on my WSM is the best decision I ever made.

Ditto. 

But, I'm in the process of building a cart for both of them to take to competitions.  I'll post some pics as it nears completion.

BD

Oh, and yes, thank you @Troy ! ! !
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:37:20 AM »

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:13:34 AM »

A seriously good idea.....  Very creative.

I think you would still need some type of table attached to the WSM.  In my experience, a cart for the WSM provides 1)mobility and 2) a place to stage stuff.  Both are important.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
@jdefran, if you can live with just the casters (like I did) then you can go this route:

Add a couple of drawer pulls:

And then you can use the Kettle Side Table:

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

THKSNOW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
I haven't had my WSM very long and used it 4 or 5 times.  What a PITA getting it out to use.  AND... FORGET ABOUT moving it around to get away from the wind or rain after it's up and running.

This is how I'm going to solve all the problems... I went to Harbor Freight today and bought one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-36-in-two-shelf-steel-service-cart-62587.html

Before I put it together I'm going to cut a 20 1/2" hole in the top shelf nearer to the end with cart handle. It will then be installed upside down which should give me the necessary clearance for the door.  The way I measured, I think there's room to add horizontal handles to the middle section of the WSM to make it easier to lift it up and down.  Lastly I'll add a counter top of some kind with a 20" hole, and a folding shelf as well on the end opposite the cart handle.  The counter will be screwed down from the underside through the top metal shelf.  And the cart's already black to match the WSM.  A new post with pictures to follow...

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
Put them on a Metro cart!

WSM's aren't as heavy as two BGE's!

Take a look at the Naked Whiz Table Gallery for an endless supply of inspiration!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:13:26 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:07:52 PM »
There is a guy on YouTube (Louisiana Cajun recipes) that has an 18" wsm sitting on a wooden cart with a rope tied to it. Almost looks like maybe a piano dolly with a piece of plywood on it. Wouldn't help with the side table though.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 06:08:11 AM »
I cludged up a cart from an old gas grill frame.  Added in side burner, stainless side table, light, churchkey, tool hooks.  Had a lid hook and speakers but took them off (lid hook never worked right, speakers got replaced by bluetooth).
Total cost less than $5 (and most of that was the speakers I'm not using anymore and re-donated).

Build thread here.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?26480-Behold!-The-smoker-cart-of-awesomness!!!!!

I changed the base to a solid metal one, but other than that, its still chugging along 4 years later.  I didn't use it for a while but brought it back out I think last summer.  It is the easiest way to light the charcoal I have and the side table comes in handy (though I sort of wish it folded down to save a little space.  The real trick is finding the right old gasser frame.  This was a made in the USA Charbroil from probably the 80's that my neighbor was getting rid off.  A lot of the new ones would be total junk, but you never know what people might throw away with grill season, memorial day, Father's day, 4th of July, etc... coming up.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
I updated my junker.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 03:09:52 PM »
@Hell Fire Grill

Love the upgrade!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

havachat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 03:50:27 AM »
I've got planned putting my WSM bracketed onto a board and then bolt the board onto a simple dolly or box trolley. I really dig the ideas in this thread however!