Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A busy Saturday plus spreading the Weberitis.  (Read 2827 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
A busy Saturday plus spreading the Weberitis.
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
Saturday morning I went to help a friend/coworker move from their apartment to a new house.  He and his wife have never had a house before, and right now they have a 1 year old, are expecting another baby in two months AND are housing a foreign exchange student who goes to our school.  He's a great guy with some insane basketball skills...SERIOUSLY http://www.wilthethrill.com/

Anyway, we've had them over several times, and his wife (who is from El Salvador) has LOVED all the meals I've grilled for them.  However, being apartment dwellers they could never have a grill.  Anyway, got them moved in, get home at 1pm and notice these two deals locally...

Now the first one was listed for $45 "Brand New".  I could clearly see it had the economy kettle triangle at the bottom.  BUT I could also see that there was a new condiment rack inside.  I messaged the guy and he said he'd sell for $35. 

The second was a BRAND NEW Green One Touch Gold for $70.  They wouldn't budge on price.  So, away I went to pick up both.  I went to pick up the one touch, and when I got to the Broadacres Swap Meet, the guy met me outside the gate.  What I got was a completely new in box kettle.  $70 away. 

As I was driving that day, I thought about my friend Wil.  He has no grill.  At first, I thought about gifting him my 78 red that I'm now selling.  But once I picked up the second kettle, I knew he'd love it.  I got there and sure enough, it had NEVER been used.  DD code from 2000.  It had a One Touch system inside, new ash pan, condiment rack, and unused charcoal rails.  It even had the showroom sticker on it.  CRAZY. 

Anyway, I went home, dropped off the condiment rack and charcoal rails (I'm only human), grabbed one of my older charcoal chimneys and went back to his new house to drop off his new to him kettle.  He was thrilled.  We put it out on the back patio, and he made me promise to show him how to use it in a couple weeks.  Can't wait. 

Then I went back home to put together the green kettle. 

This is actually my VERY FIRST brand new kettle.  Some thoughts.  I like others hate the new handle.  I refuse to put the taco shell on...will this mess things up long term?  I also notice that the plastic handle materials are all thinner plastic than even my 2014 copper.  The legs are of thinner metal than in the past.  HOWEVER I LOVE the new leg assembly procedure.  Click, click, click.  I also like the LOOK of the new ash catcher, if not the squeezing.  We'll see how that works out.  My wife really likes this one, so that's good... ;)  All in all, I've wanted a dark green, and although it's not vintage, it is nice.  With all that said, this is where I stand right now...I'm all ready for a big cook next weekend...

joking aside, in the last year, I've used each of these multiple times, and it's fun to pick which grill to use. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: A busy Saturday plus spreading the Weberitis.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:48:12 PM »
Great story and a very nice lineup of kettles. Way to go.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 06:51:49 PM »
Very nice!!!  Grate gift for next to nothing. Karma owes you one. I gotta say, that patio is filling up rather quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »
Awesome story and good on you passing on weberitis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:34:19 AM »
That's how you get them started. Way to go on spreading the Weberitis! I have a buddy and cousin that their wife's warned me "No more grills!!" for either of them. Luckily their wife's have been told by my wife "He dosen't listen"

Truth be told I do listen, but I have selective hearing ;)
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:22 AM »

That's how you get them started. Way to go on spreading the Weberitis! I have a buddy and cousin that their wife's warned me "No more grills!!" for either of them. Luckily their wife's have been told by my wife "He dosen't listen"

Truth be told I do listen, but I have selective hearing ;)

I know what you mean but be careful. If you own up to SH the women win!

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:28:03 AM »
Very nice work! I know Wil, and the dude can ball. Played against him in my seminary days. It wasn't even fair.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:26:57 AM by Saugust »
Growing family = growing kettles!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:21:52 AM »
@Saugust it is a small world!  Wil's a super nice guy...Doctor, teacher, baller. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:06 AM »
Nice score all around!  I would have dropped the condiment holder at home too!  Can't wait for updates to see how Wil's first cooks go!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
Nice scores. Great looking group of kettles as well.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:44:26 PM »
before you joined i used to scour the clist ads in vegas because i'm out there twice a year and have friends there.

now i don't bother.  :D 

great looking line up! 

you have almost no competition out there so be careful how much you spread the itis.  :o 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
@GregS I was bummed I missed out on a pristine red yesterday...someone out there beat me to it :)  Though it was probably a blessing in disguise!