Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rescued "White Buffalo"  (Read 5952 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Rescued "White Buffalo"
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »

Hi All,

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I posted a few photos in @Troys post of "URGENT: You're help needed!" of a grill that was rescued by my son-in-law last week, a few miles from my house. 

There was a lot of comments pertaining to the grill that I posted pics of, so I'm starting a new thread on the rescued grill. Hope you all enjoy it. :)  Thanks to all of your comments thus far.

A few weeks back My wife and I, had my daughter, son-in-law, and grandson over for a Packer game and some smoked ribs.  At one point my SIL, who owns a few Weber charcoal grills, asks me if Weber ever made a white grill. (He's a carpenter, and saw one at a house he was working on).  I looked at him a little puzzled, knowing there was one of them discovered a while back.  Could there be another?  My first thought was someone spray painted it.  He tells me the lid is being used as a fire pit cover, and the bowl is a planter. :-\  Then I asked if it had a metal lid handle and he says he thinks so!  Ok, now I gotta see this thing.  I let him know about the black squiggly lines for paint, and he should snap a few pics of it when he gets back over there.  He tells me they are going back over there in the next few weeks, and he'll check it out.

Fast forward to last week, now I see the family quite a bit, but no mention of the grill.  I didn't ask, but I didn't forget either.  I arrive home from work last Friday, open the garage door, and there it is parked in  my garage! 

My SIL asked the owner if he would part with it, the owner said he would call his wife and ask if she still wanted the grill planter, she told him he could get rid of it.  They agreed on a price.  Done deal!

There's still about 100 lbs of frozen soil in the bowl!

Bowl is in rough shape, handles seem pretty solid.

Missing legs, leg sockets, ash triangle, wheels and 1 of the bottom vent covers.  I think it's in fantastic shape considering it's probably been outside in the elements for quite a while!

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: Rescued "White Buffalo"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:31:12 AM »
@bladz Very nice! This one would take the tabbed leg sockets (not the pipe).  Prob not be too hard to find a Patent Pending donor kettle for the sockets and small bowl tab vents.  :)

jimbo7070

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
Wow! What a fantastic score! Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
Awesome find!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Grate Save!!!

Sucks to see what they did to it, but thankfully they didn't scrap it instead. Any ideas on your next actions with it?  I know most of us would love to see the White Buffalo walk again. I noticed the leg socket locations are just holes now. I don't have any parts kettles of that vintage, but I have some stuff from '70-'75 kettles that I keep for my restores. I live in Greendale & would be willing to assist. I'm just a PM away.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »
What a Wonderful World boys.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »
Great score!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »
Congrats once again bladz! What a cool piece of Weber history!

The bowl might be a little rough but with some work you could get her back on her feet. Ask away with any questions or for feedback as there are lots of experienced folks willing to help.

8)[emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

THROUGH THE MUD BBQ TEAM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
Rescue, restore.............

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »
Great piece of history! I think that would actually clean up ok. There's ways to remove the rust staining to make it look much cleaner. Have the offers started coming in yet?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

tb6844

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
Wow.  Nice score Dennis.  Good luck with the restore, that'll be a project. 

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
This kind of find gets me amped up! They're still out there fellas, rare kettles, even the rarest. Great find!

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
Thanks for all your kind words.  My first project is getting the frozen soil out of the bowl.  It's sitting on some carpet squares upside down, letting gravity do it's thing.  The soil should drop in about April.  ;)  After that we'll see what comes next.  :)

Any guess at the age?   Are these from the 60's? or earlier?   My birth year is 1962.  Do you think...?  Maybe....?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »
Incredible!

This one has the potential for most epic restore of 2016, and we're only in January!

Can't wait to see this one rise again. Oh and of course if you don't feel up to it, just let me know...I'll take care of it for you😀

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 04:54:43 PM »
"Any guess at the age?"

I have a Black Wood Dale with square tab lid vent that Craig tells me is likely a 61/62.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"