Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid Rim is Bent - How to Fix  (Read 3311 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Lid Rim is Bent - How to Fix
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »
I have a jumbo joe and the rim of the lid is bent inward which makes it difficult to place on top of the grill.  Any tips on how to fix?  Do I just hammer it out?
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lid Rim is Bent - How to Fix
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »
Depends..i always try to bend using my bare hands..to avoid more damages first.....

If the porcelain is already chipped..id line up 2 pieces of wood with a gap between the wood pieces. Thennusing a ball peen hammer ibwould slowly and gently tap the lid rim ...in the wood joint area...
Grills

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
@toolhead gives good advice.

The one thing I would add is do NOT use pliers.  You will add creases to the rim of the lid.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 11:08:38 AM »
The newer kettles are of light gauge enough to bend out dents with your hands (sometimes)...just use you weight and wood pieces to setup a bending platform...then push forcefully /gently and see if you can barehand push it out...
Had a otg gold with a main body part of the lid with a crease dent.....porcelain was solid in the crease...i just put the lid on the grass and kept pushing the crease out with my thumbs...took a little time but it was close to invisible after 25-20 mins
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:19:52 AM by toolhead »
Grills

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »
Thanks everyone. I will try using my hands and/or the wood block.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 11:38:25 AM »
I used a hand saw to cut a groove in a stick and....

This lid wasn't bent but you get the picture.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »

I used a hand saw to cut a groove in a stick and....

This lid wasn't bent but you get the picture.
Grate idea!!!  I've got a sh!tload of tools from my mechanic days, and none would work as well as your idea. Assume the best way would be to work it "to then through".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞