Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally got a 22.5!  (Read 4425 times)

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
Finally got a 22.5!
« on: January 15, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »
I finally got my hands on a 22.5" kettle.
Or rather, my wife found one on Craigslist for me.  Can you really ask for a better wife? :)

How does the 22.5" cook compared to the standard 18.5" kettle?  Judging by it's size I'm going to assume it runs hotter due to the depth of the bowl and lid?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Finally got a 22.5!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 05:43:47 AM »
so, it all depends on the amount of coals but actually I think an 18 can run hotter do to the limited amount of airspace in the kettle.

I like 22's the most.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 05:45:49 AM »
so, it all depends on the amount of coals but actually I think an 18 can run hotter do to the limited amount of airspace in the kettle.

I like 22's the most.

It also depends on how wide the dampers are open.  I was speaking in general, comparing one to another in the same conditions just so I know what to expect.  Say, full grate of coals, dampers wide open.

Going on how my Jumbo Joe runs compared to the 18.5" kettle I'd say the Jumbo Joe doesn't draft as good due to the limited height.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 05:46:30 AM »
Congratulations..sounds like you have a keeper wife there for sure!!

I much prefer cooking on the 22", lots more room than the 18". I keep one of each on the patio and use the 22" 99% of the time and the 18" only when I am cooking for just myself. I use more charcoal in the 22", and because of that, it seems to run much hotter (although currently do not have a lid therm on the 18 to know for sure).

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:03:20 AM »
Congratulations..sounds like you have a keeper wife there for sure!!

I much prefer cooking on the 22", lots more room than the 18". I keep one of each on the patio and use the 22" 99% of the time and the 18" only when I am cooking for just myself. I use more charcoal in the 22", and because of that, it seems to run much hotter (although currently do not have a lid therm on the 18 to know for sure).

Curious, why use the 18" instead of just using less charcoal in the 22"?
I'm asking because I was planning on giving away the 18" as it needs a new damper kit in the bottom and a leg keeps falling off.  I assumed I could use the 22" for everything.  :(

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:09:11 AM »
Just my preference. Same amount of charcoal in the 22 as the 18 because of more interior volume should run cooler I would think. I have one charcoal basket in my 18 and a pair of baskets in my 22.

I cook a lot indirect, and there is much more space in the 22 then the 18, but if I am only cooking a couple of burgers, I just use the 18. I am sure you would have absolutely no problem just using the 22 for everything, it is just what I do. I also frequently cook more than the 22 will hold so the 18 gets the overflow. Heck, a couple of weeks ago I had both the 22, 18 and a smokey going. You can never have too many grills I think! ;)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 06:10:22 AM »
I "grew up" using my dad's 18.5" but never learned how to properly use it. Everything was wide open, direct and meat was tough. The 22.5" makes things like indirect cooking and more sophisticated techniques more intuitive because you can see how it's gonna play out. That, as much as its extra space, make it far more versatile.

I still have dad's 18.5" and have learned how to use it but can't as easily make it do what I want, but partly that's because the daisy wheels give me fits--only work for a few cooks and then become clogged with grease or bent. So it's my 2nd-string utility player. In some ways I like the Jumbo Joe better because the need to create distinct indirect or direct zones is absolutely paramount there due to how much closer the heat is. Irony, that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 06:13:26 AM »
My usage mirrors indy82z's. I have one of each on the deck for various reasons. For smaller cooks, the smaller machine can be elegantly ideal.

I don't do a LOT of winter cooking outdoors but have come to believe the larger machine might lose heat faster when it's really cold outside. Remember, these aren't insulated ovens and the 22 has more "dead air" inside it. Summertime, doesn't matter.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:56 AM »
Ah ok.

90% of my cooking is indrect as well both on my kettle and my Weber natural gas grill.  This is the main reason the 18.5" is never big enough for me, it's hard to use half of the grill and have enough room.

Are the charcoal baskets worth it?  I usually just make a pile on one side and throw my foot on the other.

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 06:17:10 AM »
*Food.  I don't put my foot anywhere near a lit grill. :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
Ah ok.

90% of my cooking is indrect as well both on my kettle and my Weber natural gas grill.  This is the main reason the 18.5" is never big enough for me, it's hard to use half of the grill and have enough room.

And there it is.

Are the charcoal baskets worth it?  I usually just make a pile on one side and throw my foot on the other.

I go through periods where I always use them and then never use them ... they limit the amount of charcoal you'll use, which could be good or bad. With cheapo Kingsford Blue they'll get clogged up with ash. Of course, they're great for moving a mass of heat around with tongs. And if for no other reason, the next day you shake the ash loose and dump the coals into the chimney. Easier and faster than loading the chimney handfuls at a time.

All in all I think they're a smart thing to use but I get lazy and skip it. I will also note that for people with gas-lit Performers, the baskets do a surprisingly good job of standing in for a chimney when starting, thereby letting you skip having to dump hot coals into the machine.

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 06:37:46 AM »
I wonder how good they would do with lump.
100% of my charcoal cooking is done with either Frontier or Royal Oak because my wife thinks Kingsford tastes like burning tires.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 06:44:14 AM »
"They" being what?

Lump is great everywhere!

ChrisJ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 06:47:28 AM »
"They" being what?

Lump is great everywhere!

Oh sorry,
The charcoal baskets.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »
I really like the baskets and use them 99% of the time. I always place them on the sides with a aluminum pan in the middle to catch all the drippings. I am pretty anal about keeping my grills clean. The other reason I use them is that I have some older kettles and the bowls have damage from banking coals and I use them for cheap insurance to (hopefully) keep that from happening.

I agree with addicted...they are really nice to give a couple of taps when done and pour back in the chimney. Quick and easy.

They are cheap($15), pick up a set and see if they fit your cooking style. I really like them and unless I am using the snake method or the Smokey, always  use them.