Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can you adjust the location of the burner tube on a Performer for a Slow N Sear?  (Read 7370 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
Happy holidays! I own a Weber Performer with the small propane tank and burner thing. I just got a Slow N Sear for Christmas and I placed it in my grill. The only problem is that the burner tube is so long that it sits on the wrong side of the Slow N Sear. It comes out too far into the center of the grill, and for a 2 zone fire accessory, it would be nicer to have the flame about 2 inches more away from the center of the grill, keeping it under the coals on the hot zone. I don't know the exact measurements of where the flame comes out of the burner, but let's say it's 8 inches from the perimeter of the grill. If I slide the tube back away from the center by 2 inches, I could make the flame only 6 inches from the perimeter, and then it would be on the hot side of my 2 zone Slow N Sear.

Has anyone else tried moving the burner back in a Performer to help reposition the flame for 2 zone cooking, or is this a bad or dangerous idea?

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
The burner tube sits in another tube that mounts to the side of the bowl , it may be possible to cut part of the tube off and make it shorter. Or just light your coals and move them into the position you desire

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
We've used One Touch Premiums for all of our testing so we've not had an opportunity to try moving the burner tube.  If you find a solution to this please share the details and some pics so we can provide the info to other customers. =)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
I think that you are not following the Slow N Sear directions, it isn't a chimney, but alright anyway. I haven't tried this with the Slow N Sear, but I have lit coals in a Vortex in an SSP. Once lit, I put on welder's gloves and shoved the whole shooting match to one side. I would think that you could do the same thing, given the right gloves.

An easy solution is to try a chimney.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
I think that you are not following the Slow N Sear directions, it isn't a chimney, but alright anyway. I haven't tried this with the Slow N Sear, but I have lit coals in a Vortex in an SSP. Once lit, I put on welder's gloves and shoved the whole shooting match to one side. I would think that you could do the same thing, given the right gloves.

An easy solution is to try a chimney.

I have these gloves. They work just fine for moving a vortex. Nice & cheap too.

https://www.grainger.com/product/CONDOR-Hot-Mill-Gloves-4A277?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4A277_AS01?$smthumb$

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
You would need to create a new bracket to move the burner tube back. The igniter- which is mounted to the tube- will get in the way if you try to reposition it.

It sounds like the OP is interested in using the sns as a basket with the burner without having to move it around. Makes perfect sense to me.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
You would need to create a new bracket to move the burner tube back. The igniter- which is mounted to the tube- will get in the way if you try to reposition it.

It sounds like the OP is interested in using the sns as a basket with the burner without having to move it around. Makes perfect sense to me.

Agreed.  You can do pretty much anything you want to do with the Slow 'N Sear, so there's no reason to take it out of the grill.  So you may as well mod the igniter to work with the Slow 'N Sear.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Why not fix some expanded mesh to the bottom of the SNS then you can move it where ever you want without having to mod the kettle.
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Ever notice how women roll their eyes when men are asked a question and EVERY one of the men has a solution "regardless what the question was" ???
Men are problem solvers, no ???

I use the small Weber charbasket to lite starter coals w/ my performer (that would be my C&B Grass Green Perf Dlx :) ) once I've setup my fuse.  Same setup to light the starter coals for the SnS.  Just pour them into the cavity made at the corner of the SnS.

Never used the SnS for searing  ...  I just place another charcoal grate on firebricks and pour the red hot coals on it.  Put the grilling grate on and Bob's you uncle, Fanny's your aunt, perfect slide'n'sear steak.                      SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

ed3120

• Smokey Joe

The igniter is actually on the outside of the kettle, so I should be able to slide the burner tube back a little without moving the igniter. I'll try it and report back.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod

The igniter is actually on the outside of the kettle, so I should be able to slide the burner tube back a little without moving the igniter. I'll try it and report back.

Actually The more I think about this the more it seems like it would be possible to mount the igniter to the other side of the bracket and pull the tube out ~2". Give this a try and report back please.

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
I did it without making anything or permanently modding anything. All I did was some screwing and unscrewing. The burner tube is held to the bracket by a U-shaped piece of metal by a single screw that you can take off with a 5/16th socket. Once you unscrew that, and use a flathead to gently pry up the the U bracket, the burner tube can slide back and forth freely. The only thing that gets in the way is the igniter, which is the piece with the two wires. If you try to just slide the burner tube back (away from the center) the igniter will hit the U bracket and it won't be able to go further.

To fix this problem, Unscrew the Phillips screw holding the igniter and take the igniter out. Then you can slide the burner back about 2 inches and reconnect and screw the igniter back in on the other side of the U bracket. If you position it so the igniter is just past the U bracket, then everything will just fit without hitting the charcoal bin.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
I did it without making anything or permanently modding anything. All I did was some screwing and unscrewing. The burner tube is held to the bracket by a U-shaped piece of metal by a single screw that you can take off with a 5/16th socket. Once you unscrew that, and use a flathead to gently pry up the the U bracket, the burner tube can slide back and forth freely. The only thing that gets in the way is the igniter, which is the piece with the two wires. If you try to just slide the burner tube back (away from the center) the igniter will hit the U bracket and it won't be able to go further.

To fix this problem, Unscrew the Phillips screw holding the igniter and take the igniter out. Then you can slide the burner back about 2 inches and reconnect and screw the igniter back in on the other side of the U bracket. If you position it so the igniter is just past the U bracket, then everything will just fit without hitting the charcoal bin.

Great work! Can you take a pic for us? On thing I should mention is that if the burner is too close to the kettle it might cause the porcelain there to crack- especially if you have a colored performer.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Great solution.

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
Here is the newly positoned burner tube, along with the Slow N Sear.  (ignore the coals on the left. I just moved them to take the picture)

Here it is with the flame on.

Here is the burner tube from both sides. note that the igniter is on the opposite side of the tube mounting bracket now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk