Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Decisions Decisions...  (Read 2938 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Decisions Decisions...
« on: December 19, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
I've been offered this red MBH from a member on an Aussie BBQ forum. He picked the kettle at a garage sale 20yrs ago and is thinning the herd. Rather than put it on eBay or gumtree he has offered it to me as he wants to see it go to someone who will appreciate it. I already have a 1980 red MBH in much better condition but this one is special. Kettles were only available in Australia in the late 70's which could possibly make this one of the first sold over here and possibly the oldest kettle in OZ that wasn't imported from the states.
It's in pretty rough shape with plenty of beauty scars and it's going to cost me $30 to get it freighted to my place
So is it worth getting?
Can anyone date this?
How do you get rid of the rust stains underneath the chips on the lid?

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Decisions Decisions...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:24:31 PM »
If you have $30 available, it's worth it. Could get $30 for the ash pan alone if you parted it out. Looks like an intact, all original '73-'75. As far as the rust stains, I usually use steel wool & lacquer thinner (or wheel cleaner). Takes a little bit, but will come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
What's the decision? Just get on that Sh!T!!! I have gifted two Red cookers like that, get to cook on them a couple times a year, still cook a mean meal.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
Get it. Use it. Love it.

Do not turn it into a planter.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
That's an old warrior right there !  CLR ( if available ) will remove the rust stains ...with a little love it would  be a cool grill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »
I'd get it.  First off, I'd use Bar Keepers Friend (can you get that in Australia?) to remove the rust stains.  If you can't get it, find a product there where the main ingredient is oxalic acid...that's the main ingredient in Bar Keepers Friend.  I've used it twice now on kettles to remove rust stains some nearly as bad as that (a patent pending avocado and a 1986 brownie).  It didn't hurt the paint, but it sure removed those stains on both the bowl and lid.  Second, I'd keep it just for that ash pan (I wish I could find one of those).  Finally, I'd fix the chips on the lid with some duplicolor red engine paint.  I know that is a topic of some controversy here, but I find it looks really good on the red kettles. 

Just an FYI, here's a vent code chart I saw on the site a long time ago and saved to my computer for reference:

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
I'd say it's worth getting. Bar keepers friend removes rust. Let the chemicals do most of the work and don't press too hard as it's mildly abrasive.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 09:21:36 PM »
Should you get another grill?  You're asking the wrong crowd... bunch of enablers around here! 
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »
Get on that shit we don't take no for an answer! ;D ;D ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
Ok deal made and it should arrive early in the new year. Thanks all for pushing me over the line with the decision and thanks for the cleaning tips. I'll get back to you all when it arrives
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 07:44:35 AM »
Glad you got it! That's a Keeper and a cooker!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

pbuk

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
Why would you ever say no?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk