Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: HELP w/ cleaning/restoring the thermoset table on the Performer  (Read 3293 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
HELP w/ cleaning/restoring the thermoset table on the Performer
« on: October 17, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »
Hi ALL,

The cleanup of the 2010 C&B Performer is all but complete (pictures to follow at full completion).  One thing remains, I put the best of my thermoset tables on the Performer, still it could use a touch of degreasing and darkening of those eventual white nicks and scrapes.

I've tried dishsoap and Krud Kutter.  Blems are still there.  Here are my questions:
1) Anyone use oven cleaner?  Bad/Good results?  Harmful to the thermoset and/or finish?
2) Mineral oil coating?  Darkens the finish I've read (for a couple of months), that's good since the C&B green has a dark table.
3) Any other ideas?  The grandkids moved into their new house today so we'll be heading back toward Seattle w/ this Perf soon.

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Re: HELP w/ cleaning/restoring the thermoset table on the Performer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 04:40:25 AM »
I use Magic Erasers and they do the job.
I clean my top with Windex from time to time. You could try Bar Keepers Friend but it's more abrasive
Than the standard cleaners.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 04:56:38 AM »
@SmokenJoe ...   Dollar store mean green and 0000 steelwoal I use on mine all the time.

Spray and let sit, the spray again and rub with steelwoal, then hit it one last time and wipe dry.

I do this when I have company coming over to make the table look like new.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:21:02 AM »

I keep saying this, and will continue to … Spray Nine is an amazing cleaner.  Can't hurt to try it, eh?

http://www.spraynine.com/product/spray-nine-cleanerdisinfectant-635
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:07:17 AM »
Watch out for the oven cleaner with anything other than the kettle.  Just the over spray can discolor things and leave spots.  I have had good luck with simple green. 

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:10:59 AM »
I just swapped out my old thermoset table with the new metal one on my CB performer and not only does it look fantastic with the spring green, but it cleans up so easy.  Just wipe it down, no more stains. 

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Thanks to you ALL for all the great ideas.  I usually rely on Krud Kutter as my grease kutter & stain remover, but I'm willing to try Simple Green, Spray Nine, and #0000.  At this point, I'd try almost anything.    :(

When my tables get to the point that I can't stand them anymore, I'll order the "new" SS Performer table  ...  or maybe sooner :)                               SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 12:48:56 PM »
@SmokenJoe ...   Dollar store mean green and 0000 steelwoal I use on mine all the time.

Spray and let sit, the spray again and rub with steelwoal, then hit it one last time and wipe dry.

I do this when I have company coming over to make the table look like new.

Yup. I didn't use the 0000, but mean green is good stuff. After I got the stains out, I treated with mineral oil. Darkened it up and gives a layer of protection.
Still need a 22” yellow

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
Thanks again to ALL that help with this problem.  @TheDude  I've put Mean Green and Magic Erasers, as well as all of the others on my list, I'm going to run a test to see which is good, better, best at cleanUP on my Thermoset Table tops (eventually).  Krud Kutter takes out the grease stains when the're fairly recent, but it wouldn't faze the older ones.  Also, it never covered all of those "little white scratches and nicks" that eventually turn up.  I'm hoping the Mineral Oil whoops them.                       SJ