Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MOD MONTH 2015! Official Master Thread  (Read 29059 times)

JDLones

• WKC Brave
Re: MOD MONTH 2015! Official Master Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »

Heres a grate I made a while back. Its made from 3/8" rounds and weighs almost 17lbs.

HOLY CRAP!!!!

That's my thought exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
Here's my entry for mod month, RK Side Tables. They are both 4ft long by 2ft wide and attach via  SS steel brackets and pins. They attach  and detach in seconds making them portable. There is no drilling of modifying the kettle as the are fixed through existing bolt holes in the cart and bowl
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/ranch-kettle-side-tables/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:27:13 PM by Hogsy »
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Antisven84

• WKC Brave
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2015, 01:01:03 PM »
This is my stacker mod, currently is fully sealed, clamps down, wsm temp grommet, 2 cooking racks, a drake to raise and hold the water pan and drip tray and a charcoal basket at the bottom there, it's the first version of it and has weeded out a lot of issues. I'm currently working on the next version which will have 4 cooking racks in it, adjustable rack height and external water pan fill.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
That is very cool!
May The Smoke Be With You!

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »
Does this count as a Mod?
My Son got me this one. It was free. He knew someone that was going to throw it away.The table was cracked so I cut one out of some red oak butcher block I had that another friend had given me. I finished it with Helmsman Spar Urethane. Very waterproof and it's supposed to have good UV resistance.

The lid was caved in and when I popped it out it crazed the porcelain. I didn't want rust so I painted it with Rustoleum 500 degree High heat engine enamel because it was gloss black. Worked pretty good, but I wouldn't set the lid on a roaring fire. Rustoleum makes some higher temp stuff, but what I've tried gets soft when hot, and its not as tough as the porcelain.. The lid bail rubbed the paint where it contacts the lid. Also you have to cure it slowly getting a little hotter each time or you will bubble the finish. I learned the hard way and had to sand and redo it.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:05:02 AM by TD »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
MOD MONTH 2015! Official Master Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Not sure if I'd really call this a mod, but my gf's mom has a really nice sewing machine so I asked her if she could make a cover for my propane tank.  She swung by and grabbed my tank and brought it back the next day like this!  She can also do crazy embroidering so I'll probably have her update it with a Washington Capitals logo or something grill related.  Now if I can ever use up my larger tank I can get this one filled and the ugly as larger tank out of the way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »
This is a fire grate design I made several years ago. It got burned up pretty bad over time so I built a new one. I use it to recycle my charcoal, just give it a shake and all the ashes fall off the coal and into the bowl.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
This is my own Kettle Pizza version from a food grade 55 gallon drum, with influence/tips from @Antisven84 and @CharliefromLI .  It's the bottom third of the drum cut just above the bulge and flipped over.  I used a fireplace gasket for a better seal and stainless steel hex nuts stabilize the stacker.  There are two fist sized holes cut in the (now) top of the drum and the original kettle lid sits perfect on top.  Fire bricks were used for the "floor" and a stock grate was cut to allow for quick refueling.  Some donated Summit thermometers are placed at the top air transfer point, and down where the firebricks are located.  The handles are replacements for the fireplace lid.  After the first cook, I had to swap the bowl from the DO* OTG with the AH* OTG for a better fit with the gasket.  I haven't cooked any more pizza since @zavod44 graciously made me a set of Redheart handles, (can be seen here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/more-of-zavod's-magic/new/#new)

It worked very well the first few times through.  Areas I will attempt to improve will be:
1. Different grate system (weight of bricks destroyed the stock grate by the 2nd cook, needs to be a bit higher)
2. A single baking/pizza stone (instead of bricks, less weight)
3. Gloss paint instead of flat (what I had on hand at the time)
4. Figure a way to line the interior of the stacker with the fire bricks
5. Test cooking a pizza on top of the stacker but under the OTG lid (two pies at one time potential, would require another stone)

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
Not really a mod so to speak, but something worth sharing.  The little plastic leg cap on the B* code I have was shot.  Since I tend to move my kettles around often, I didn't want an exposed metal leg dragging on the paver patio.  The solution came from my GF in the form of a wine cork from a bottle of Cupcake Prosecco.  I don't have any idea what Cupcake Prosecco is, but I was told it doesn't have anything to do with cupcakes.  A cork from a beer bottle could also work, however, I don't typically keep beer corks lying around after the beer is gone.  I liked this so much, I made the swap on all of my kettles.  Take the plastic cap off, push the cork into the leg, done.

B* code with no leg cap on the nice pavers

Fruity lady drink

Cork being more useful than ever

Antisven84

• WKC Brave
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Im in the middle of my new stacker version @Santo , I recommend the clamps do that seal you're chasing.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »

Im in the middle of my new stacker version @Santo , I recommend the clamps do that seal you're chasing.

I tried to get away without them, but you're right, it'll definitely help in maintaining that high temp required for pizza. 

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
This is an ash catcher I made out of an old aluminum pot. It was attached to the kettle with some nails that went through the legs and then into the pot. One more way to turn a OTS into a OTG. Its been removed and returned to the scrap pile.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
Gourmet Grate Lifter ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
How about a stainless steel ash catcher?

This one mounts on pins that go through the leg sockets and its the easiest one to use that I'v made so far.