Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Breaking in the 26  (Read 4094 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Breaking in the 26
« on: August 06, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »
So I am firing up my 26 for the first time tonight. Not planning to cook anything tonight, just put 20 briquettes in each basket and letting it burn.

I'm going to put a probe in there and monitor the temp over that time, just to get a feel for it.

Any suggestions on a quick way to get a feel for the temperature range on the kettle?
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Breaking in the 26
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:28:18 PM »
Any suggestions on a quick way to get a feel for the temperature range on the kettle?

Ya, put some food in there after 30 minutes.  I know you want to.  Even some dogs, or sausage.

An empty, warm kettle will have a different temperature reading than one with food in it.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
I thought about that, too. Held off, though, after I dumped the coals in the charcoal baskets. The funky chemical smells from the kettle told me this needed to be a dry run.

I put 20 in each basket, arranged the baskets on either side of the grill. Put the probe in the middle of the indirect zone. Top vent wide open, bottom vent just about closed.

It heated up to 380 quickly, held there for the better part of the hour, then slowly started to drop. It was still about 350 at one hour from dump. It's been a little over 90 minutes and hanging at 310.

Oh yeah and as usual the lid thermometer is about 50 degrees off.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:31:07 PM »
Your gonna want some grill bricks for that. It really helps with the indirect setup and you will have a pretty large area for searing.  You may also want to install another handle in front of the lid. It's a PITA lifting that lid into the bale. You have to do it from the side and its heavy. You'll know what I'm talking about soon enough.

Happy grillin! I'm sure you will love it. I love mine..
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
Your gonna want some grill bricks for that. It really helps with the indirect setup and you will have a pretty large area for searing.  You may also want to install another handle in front of the lid. It's a PITA lifting that lid into the bale. You have to do it from the side and its heavy. You'll know what I'm talking about soon enough.

Do you actually have to lift it or can you tilt and roll it into the bale?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 07:06:03 PM »
I have no problem with my lid being to heavy, you can tilt it and roll it into the bail also.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 03:28:19 AM »

How do you set yours up? Do you do a hot side/cool side or do you put the baskets on either side with the indirect in the middle?

I've had no problems with the lid. Tilt n roll works well for me.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:37 AM »
I only use kettles with lid bales.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:44 AM »
...The funky chemical smells from the kettle told me this...

Manufacturing Lubricant & Corrosion inhibitors
Likely just Cosmoline or similar (wax w/ hydrocarbons -oils)

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
my problem is the fact that I'm trying to keep the lid from getting scratched up like my older kettles with lid bales. I'm being overly careful
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
my problem is the fact that I'm trying to keep the lid from getting scratched up like my older kettles with lid bales. I'm being overly careful

I've noticed that as well.  I may have to install a section of foam or just spray the bale with plasti-dip in that section.