Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie looking for some advice on finding Kettles  (Read 4107 times)

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
Newbie looking for some advice on finding Kettles
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »
Just wondering where you guys tend to find your Kettles?  Really want to get me my first kettle but would rather try to find an older unit as I just like Classic things in general.  Been on CL for about 3 weeks but cant seem to find much around me here in NC but some decent deals on Performers that I seem to be just a bit too slow on.  Going to keep searching CL but was just looking advice.  Found some cool stuff but not close to me and wasnt sure if you guyus have had any luck with people shipping kettles to you.  Thank you kindly for any advice you all are willing to give.

Jacmac422

• Smokey Joe
Re: Newbie looking for some advice on finding Kettles
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
Go to the online finds section of the forums.  Troy has an amazing sticky with keywords for Craigslist.  This should make your search easier. 
2015 original kettle premium copper
2015 original kettle black
197? pat-pending red

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »
I'm pretty new myself. Found my first wood handle OTS almost right away. That set false expectations though. Took a while, but have gotten 2 in the last week. One is going to a friend, for our first RRR.
Still need a 22” yellow

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
Estate sales could produce a rare kettle from time to time, as its mostly old timers who own those old vintage grails.
SMOKE THIS!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:09:15 PM »
Make friends in your region and work together to secure deals.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

BlackVenom

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
I'm pretty new myself. Found my first wood handle OTS almost right away. That set false expectations though. Took a while, but have gotten 2 in the last week. One is going to a friend, for our first RRR.

What does RRR mean? I noticed it's not in the glossary.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:03 AM »
Rescue. Restore. Respect. It's the foundation of our club, and a rally cry for all true grillfellas.

BlackVenom

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 12:41:45 AM »
Rescue. Restore. Respect. It's the foundation of our club, and a rally cry for all true grillfellas.

Thanks 8)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:07:32 AM »
I get most of my finds using a saved CL search using the term "weber charcoal"
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:22 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will keep diggin in good ole CL to see what I can find.  May just end up buying a new kettle until I can find an older unit and just to get me going in the ways of the kettle.

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 06:02:13 AM »
Dont feel bad about grabbing a new one.  EVERY single weber was once brand new.  With out new ones... we would not have old ones to hunt for.

-Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »
Dont feel bad about grabbing a new one.  EVERY single weber was once brand new.  With out new ones... we would not have old ones to hunt for.

-Jeep

Truer words were never spoken !!!!!!

In certain areas, one has to be more diligent & a bit more crafty, but there's Kettles out there everywhere.....remember, Weber has produced millions of these things over many years & even pretty beat up ones can be restored to really good condition......

Where I'm at, almost everyone's got some kind of BBQ.....many, many kettles......prior to joining here, almost all of them were free from neighborhood cleanup piles, people giving them away & field finds.......
The nicer ones were with heads-ups from members here or from checking into garage sales & thrift stores that are not C/L published things..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Andrew

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
Sage advice here by all. Ive found the 3 Ive picked up on CL. Patience is the watchword. I havent had the luck of someothers who keep their eyes open and see them in bakyards, front porches, etc. You might want to tell friends about your search too. The might just have one they are not using! Good luck and post a pic when you find one!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:03:22 PM »
Hey @Slicer021, I'm out in WNC and it's like a lonely island out here. So, I expanded my search to all areas between where my wife's parents live and we live. After some looking I finally came across two reds about half way between our houses (in Hickory), and worked out a deal with the seller to hold them for me until we went to her parents house again.

Just keep an eye out and keep looking one (or two) will turn up...eventually.

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:52:35 PM »
Thanks all for your advice.  Think I will prolly just buy a new Original 22 for the time being and keep ,y eyes plastered. Going to try to ride around some of these old farms out here and see if I can get lucky.   @WNC I am about 1 hour east of Raleigh and just not seeing much. Missed out on 2 Performers though so far for under 70 bucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk