Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ever Try Pok Pok Thaan Charcoal?  (Read 9484 times)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Ever Try Pok Pok Thaan Charcoal?
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:23 AM »
Has anyone ever given Pok Pok Thaan charcoal a try? Says it's "Thai-style Binchotan" charcoal, which means nothing to me. I have a friend up here who loves it, and swears by it. I think I'm going to give it a go, but it's not terribly cheap, like $15 for 5lb. Maybe I'll borrow some from my buddy first  ;D 

See it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Pok-PokThaan-Thaan-Charcoal/dp/B00R8HILG8
Growing family = growing kettles!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
Re: Ever Try Pok Pok Thaan Charcoal?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
I've used binchotan and its characteristics are similar to lump. Binchotan burns hot but doesn't last as long as briquettes.
When you tap binchotan on a hard surface it has a delicate glass type  sound to it.
Fun stuff to use but by no means cheap.
Japanese restaurants that cook on Robata Grills use binchotan. Most substitute lump because it is ultimately cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:29 AM »
This stuff is pressed into log-like chunks. So it looks like binchotan, but is really a giant briquette.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »
I'd try it. You never know. It may cook nice......or it may not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »
in general the Asian extruded log charcoal provides heat for a very long time vs lump or briquettes. It's density and lack of accelerants make it a b* to light so I wouldn't recommend it for short cooks. At the local korean shops that use this charcoal they have pits/kettles/barrels that keep a good stock lit. To chef's point above if you did same weight briquettes vs binchotan I think binchotan would burn much longer by a good margin. Borrow some from your friend and report back
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
I've used binchotan and its characteristics are similar to lump. Binchotan burns hot but doesn't last as long as briquettes.

I disagree with that last bit.  All the binchotan I've used burns way longer than any briquette I've ever used.  Binchotan should be insanely dense which helps it burn hot and long. 

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 06:45:46 AM »
It looks like I'll have to bum a handful of sticks of it off by bud and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »
I was given a several sticks of the Pok Pok Thaan brand charcoal from chef Matt Burton @ the National Restaurant Assoc convention up in Chicago in mid-May. Haven't given it a try yet... he gave the same descriptions as above... a b*tch to get going, and it burns crazy hot for a long time. It's essentially smokeless, also, according to chef. Sounds like a good candidate for a pizza cook...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
I was talking to my guy again about it today and he said I could have as much I'd like to try. He also said he lights six sticks of it in his chimney until they're about half ashed over, then arranges it in the kettle.
I asked if you closed all the vents would it go out, and he said no, it's too hot and burns forever. So we'll see. I'll report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk