Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: There's Good News & Bad News REDUX  (Read 4295 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
There's Good News & Bad News REDUX
« on: June 24, 2015, 08:44:55 PM »
"I see dead people, er, I see kettles needing rescue".   Have yet to start the restoration on any of my recent rescues, and still I seem to be unable to stop seeing kettles that need to be brought back to the "force".  I just picked up a rapidly fading black 26" w/ a MBH.

I'm guessing from the vent that it's a '78.  It's sound of limb, bowl, and lid.  Now the bad news, it's charcoal grate is quite rusty (but usable) but it's cooking grate is missing  :-\ :-\ :-\    Somewhere, herein, I remember that the older 26r cooking grates were smaller that the current 26 grate (or vice versa).   Should I start a restoration on this beautiful old beast, or is there no hope of finding the correct cooking grate.  My hope is to restore and cook many many meals on her ???   SJ

7/1/15  Adding some pics as requested.  She needs more attention than I thought, but still got great bones  :) :) :)   SJ

Couldn't find the ash catcher  :-[ :-[    Working on a cooking grate with @indy82z  and measured the top inside diameter at 26", 25" at the grate location.   Looks like a '78, want to get her cleaned up for cooking.  Who stole my whitewalls  ...  SJ
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:22:23 AM by SmokenJoe »
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: There's Good News & Bad News
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »
Nice find! Let's see more of it! The Grillmark replacement 26 cooking grate fits perfectly.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:48 PM »
@Craig   Thanks for the info !!    Started checking on line but seems to be out-of-stock :( :( :(   Will continue the search tomorrow  ...   SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:48 PM »
There's always hope! 
If you can't find the grillmate, you can always wedge some cast iron in.

And yes,  old one is smaller.  Congrats on the find!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 03:45:17 AM »
Nice pull...missing grates are imo almost expected or rusted nbeyond standard use.   You can always double stack and vertically turn 2 charcoal grates to crreate a screen to minimize small charcoal loss...so dont toss them older grates away....
Grills

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »

Thks all, I'm in the hunt for 'grill parts'.   SJ

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:16:20 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the 26er club!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 03:01:51 AM »
Nice score....more pics please!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »
@Idahawk   Thanks all for the interest and requests for pics.  I'll post a couple of as found shot of todays pickup (the A-Code "Brownie" from the Salem Estate Sale) and tomorrow I'll take some of the fading 26r.  I think it's a flat-top???  But when you see the pics you can clue me in.  Got to get some sleep, it's been a looooong day what with the drive to the Estate Sale, back again, and then out to the range in 100 degree heat  :-(

Yes, the vent photo isn't all that clear, but you can take my word for it that it has an 'A' stamped on it AND it looks to be the original vent :) :) :)   SJ

A special thanks to IdaHawk for spotting and posting the sale ad for my new "Brown Skinned Girl" ...

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
@Troy  And thanks for your help with the  HardwareOnline  tip.  Checked it out, they have the grill for $2.09 ea.  Shipping, however, is 34.00  ...  gotcha!!!  I'm definitely going to clean her up and order a grate  ...  still pondering CI  ...  she's worth it, as they say :)   SJ

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
More pics of the 'new' Brown-Mist ...

WTF !!!   Did I mention; PhotoBucket is a SuckBucket !!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
More pics of the 'new' Brown-Mist ...

That is gorgeous!!!!

WTF !!!   Did I mention; PhotoBucket is a SuckBucket !!!

Yeah, I know.....sometimes "Buckie's Bucket" is a full bedpan...... :o

PS: Sometimes a quick restart to get their attention helps...... :P
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
@Troy  And thanks for your help with the  HardwareOnline  tip.  Checked it out, they have the grill for $2.09 ea.  Shipping, however, is 34.00  ...  gotcha!!!  I'm definitely going to clean her up and order a grate  ...  still pondering CI  ...  she's worth it, as they say :)   SJ

Shipping is ridiculous so I played with the quantity and ended up ordering 4 of them for not much more shipping cost than one.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »
That a code is in beautiful shape...congrats
Grills