Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Remote Thermometer Probes  (Read 2747 times)

MichChef

• Happy Cooker
Remote Thermometer Probes
« on: June 22, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
How do you all run your remote thermo probes into your Weber? I'll be using two probes, one, meat temp and the other temp at grate level. I've seen some run down exhaust vents in the dome, but no other way. Do you just set the lid on the cables and hope they don't crimp or drill holes in the bowl? I've seen rubberized grommets used in some smokers, but they're so far above the heat that it doesn't affect the rubber the way I think it would in a grill.

Can I get your input on this please?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Remote Thermometer Probes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
i use the grommets that cajunbandit.com sells

if i were more handy, i would make my own with lamp rod and some nuts.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
I just run em under the lid. If I'm doing a cook longer than 3hrs I'll run em thru the top vent. Not very inventive but its a simple solution. And the cheapest one
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
I have that hang on accessory holder thing, and the wires for my probes sit at like almost the same height so I run them there.  That way they're not really being crushed by the lid. 

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
I run them under the lid. Its worked okay for the last year or so.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
I also run it under the lid but am careful opening and closing because those darn Maverick braided cables get soo brittle over time, I keep a couple extras on hand to be safe. Nothing worse than a cable lead going bad mid cook leaving you to guess what your meat temp is.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »
I spent a couple of bucks to buy some threaded lamp parts & nuts.  Put a hole just above the grill grate so I could remove the lid w/o a struggle.  Both of my ET-733 probes can feed through it (but not the cajun Bandit bolt replacement).   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jim.tonelli

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
SmokenJoe- does your threaded lamp rod just above the grill effect the lid seal? Does not seem like there is much room on the bottom bowl above the grate. Just trying to be sure before I start drilling...  Thanks,  Jim

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 08:09:08 PM »
@jim.tonelli   I placed the cooking grate into the kettle, measured half the distance from the grate to the top edge of the kettle and (after taping with blue tape) centerpunched the bluetape.  I used a self impacting center punch.  On my OTG I  placed the fitting centered on the left side  ...   YMMV.    SJ

Probably didn't need the lock washer, but Oh Well it's there now   :) :)
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:58:24 AM »
i use the grommets that cajunbandit.com sells

if i were more handy, i would make my own with lamp rod and some nuts.

I am not handy AT ALL, and i have done two of these. At the time, maverick had bent probes that some folks said were tricky passing through the lamp rod. now the probes are straight so that issue no longer applies.

Put some blue painters tape on to protect enamel, mark your spot and drill with a step bit. super easy. If i was going to do another one, i would probably do the lamp rod.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP