Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Alternatives: GrillGrate vs. ManGrate vs. CrayCort vs Charbroil vs Weber Gourmet  (Read 10071 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Does anyone have experience with any of these non standard grates?

GrillGrate

ManGrate

CrayCort Cast iron+

Charbroil

Weber Gourmet sear insert

I would be using on my performer primarily. Any feedback on any of these? Does anyone use the grillgrate using a two zone fire?

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Nate

• WKC Ranger
I use GGs all the time. Mainly on the flat side. I like them. It's just another tool for the grill.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
@Nate what size do you use?
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
I use the grillgrates on my gasser - love 'em.

Troy

• Statesman
i've used grill grates, man grates, craycorts, stok, and the charbroil.
I have the gourmet, but not the sear grate.

I love the craycorts, but with the performer they're a bit of a hassle. Removing 4 segments and the cross section just to use the gas assist is messy and time consuming.
Even on a OTG or OTS they're a bit cumbersome. Daily and routine maintenance isn't too bad.
On the 26, craycorts are the best thing ever.

The Grill Grates system is very popular, but I think its a gimicky piece of shit. It can produce nice grill marks - but it can also really overdo the grill marks. Grill marks should be mahogany, not black!
It boasts that it prevents flare ups and produces juicier meats. I call BS on the juicier meats, and food cooked on these definitely doesn't taste as good - and here's why: liquids and fats do not drip into the coals. Those dripping produce natural smoke and that smoke flavors the food. It makes food cooked over charcoal taste like it was cooked over gas (not really that extreme, but there's definitely a difference)
They make the cooking space weird and hard to manage, they don't stay together very well, and they're a pain in the ass to move around and set up.

ManGrates are similar to grill grates, but they're made from cast iron. They're very heavy and perform quite well. They allow more juice to drip into the coals, but they still prevent some (or most, depending on the food being grilled). The marks are a bit more narrow than grill grates, and they take longer to heat up. They're still a pain to move around, and they make the entire cooking space difficult to use efficiently. On a gas grill, these would be bitchin. On a round charcoal weber, they're MEH. (But lots better than the grill grates)

The STOK cast iron grates are what I would recommend for use with the Weber Performer. They produce OK marks. Not crisp and clean, but still desirable. They're easy to maintain, unless you burn a bunch of sugar onto them. The best part about these grates is the center cut-out makes it easy to use with the gas assist. Pull the center out, add your coals (with baskets or without), light your coals and get grilling.  I used these grates for a number of years, always with baskets.

The charbroil grate is another good option for the performer. The cut-out is bigger, so managing your fuel is easier and the chimney can be used with ease. For me the grill marks produced by these grates is the only real negative. I don't like the pattern, and I don't like the thin sharp little lines. The shape of the individual cast iron bars will also cause issues with some soft and delicate foods. Big soft chicken breasts will sink in a bit and stick. Soft halibut filets will be extremely challenging. Steaks and burgers, no problem though!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:50:49 PM by Troy »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
I am actually a big fan of grill grates specifically for delicate foods like fish or turkey burgers that would just fall apart on a normal grate.

I have used the craycort system and ended up selling them because of all the work needed to maintain them.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
I like the charbroil, only because there all I have. But I bought them for the reasons Troy mentioned above, as I use them on my performer and find they work great with the Gas Assist
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
I am actually a big fan of grill grates specifically for delicate foods like fish or turkey burgers that would just fall apart on a normal grate.

I have used the craycort system and ended up selling them because of all the work needed to maintain them.

Thanks for this, Mr. Boldtz.......I'm not real swift when it comes to cast iron & thought that I may end out getting perturbed by trying to take care of them all the time........ ::)
I do have a nice sear grate I got for real cheap (like Mangrate) & Alvin got me one of those pop-out ones (brand, charbroil?) that have the 18`1/2" center...I like those two & use them some......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Ive got the stok on my performer and am pretty happy with it.  I have the pizza stone and griddle inserts. I use the pizza one all the time. Ive used the griddle once and it wasn't anything special.  With the center out, you can fit a chimney over the burner.  I do kabobs with the center out directly over coals.  Overall its nice.  I haven't had to do anything special to clean it...quick brush and sometimes a brush of oil before cooking.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Weber stock grates..nice and thin which exposes as much surface area to charcoal as possible.  Grill marks imo is burnet meat areas...i look for dark brown/darknreddish brown color.  Bought gourmet grate and returned....
I just use cast iron pans on the kettle.  You can use on the grill and in your kitchen....
Grills

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
I have the Stok grate and it is great on my Performer, I can put my chimney in the opening or use my baskets as well, very convenient.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Winz

• WKC Ranger
I just picked up a set of craycourts, so I don't have much experience.  However I was pleased with the test cook:

As Troy pointed out, a weber chimney does not fit in the quarters of the grate.  However, I usually remove the whole grate when the chimney is lighting anyway.  This allows me to dump the coals exactly where I want them, and keeps the dust that is kicked up (from dumping the coals) off the cooking surface.  Once I have the coals set up where I want them, I lower the whole craycourt grate into place.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Really good feedback guys, thanks.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
I might get some flack from you guys on this but after using cast iron grates on the kettle including the charbroil and other cast iron grates, it occurred to me that food cooks better on the regular Weber grates with the hinge.  The infrared heat from the charcoal provides enough heat to sear so you really do not need cast iron, unless you like the look of the branding marks made by the heavy metal.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
@Troy
that post is excellent info, pls take a pic or two & beef up the "reviews section"
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE