Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Colored SJG finds and a little RRR  (Read 5504 times)

JayCee

• WKC Brave
Re: Colored SJG finds and a little RRR
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 11:08:05 PM »
Top resto!. Did you replace the rivet in the top vent? Looks new.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 03:15:15 AM »
nice scores and restores @Jeff

so when you paint, you don't mask?
you just paint and scuff off the overspray?
if so, that's frackin brilliant.

Nope...never mask.  Too time consuming.  Just clean off the overspray with steel wool, and take my time around the edge of the chip.  The paint adheres pretty well to the chipped area and doesn't wipe off hardly at all.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »

Nope...never mask.  Too time consuming.  Just clean off the overspray with steel wool, and take my time around the edge of the chip.  The paint adheres pretty well to the chipped area and doesn't wipe off hardly at all.

Will this process work on a 22" as well?  On the outside of the bowl opposite the welded bracket that holds the charcoal and cooking grate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 06:00:40 PM »

Will this process work on a 22" as well?  On the outside of the bowl opposite the welded bracket that holds the charcoal and cooking grate

Yup...exact same process Dustin!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
Top resto!. Did you replace the rivet in the top vent? Looks new.

@JayCee
Thank you.
That's the original rivet.  I cleaned it up with a dremel metal buffing/polishing wheel, a little steel wool, and Flitz metal polish.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »

What grit sand paper are you using with your Dremel?  Not the wire brush attachment but sand paper?

Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »

What grit sand paper are you using with your Dremel?  Not the wire brush attachment but sand paper?

@chefn58
I didn't use any sandpaper on the Smokey.  I used a dremel wire brush.  They do wear down, so you'll go through them depending on the pressure you apply and how coarse and rough the rust is. Wear safety glasses because the little wires will fling through the air once the brush breaks down.  Here is what I used.
http://www.amazon.com/18-Steel-Wire-Wheel-Brushes/dp/B00C8STBPC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434420646&sr=8-2&keywords=dremel+wire+wheel&pebp=1434420663996&perid=FDA8016637364E14A465

If you're working on your Seville, do you plan to use it when you're done?  If not, you could always fill the chipped areas to make them level prior to paint.  For smaller chips, I've used Bondo Glazing Spot putty.  It dries quick, sands easy and finishes very smooth.  If you have larger chips bigger than a quarter, using a body filler may be easier to start with, and then follow it up with the Bondo Glazing putty.  Here is what I used.
http://www.amazon.com/Bondo-801-Professional-Glazing-Putty/dp/B004BYKICG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434421112&sr=8-3&keywords=bondo+glazing+and+spot+putty&pebp=1434421119939&perid=CA452CBDD7874D47B958

@JayCee
For polishing tight areas like the rivet on the top vent that have a bit of scale build up, I used a Dremel fine 320 grit finishing abrasive buff.  It will wear down too as you use it.  I follow this up with 0000 steel wool, then a good metal polish.  I use Flitz a lot.  Here is what I used.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-512E-Finishing-Abrasive-Buffs/dp/B000FBK43M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434420963&sr=8-2&keywords=dremel+abrasive+buff&pebp=1434421002367&perid=8B1DE4B037B24B2A8E8A

SixZeroFour

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »
A slow tear trickled down my cheek when I saw this shot...

WOW! Two rare and awesome SJ's Jeff!!

I've always wondered why there weren't any Non logo Blue SJ's considering how many years Weber made the blue. Now we know they are out there!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
The second grill was found at an estate sale and was NIB.  It's an EO code 1995 green Smokey Joe gold.

@Jeff, what is the color description on the box (Green? Dark Green?) and what is the number? I'm curious, as the SJ database has 2 numbers listed for Green SJG... 40797 and 40799.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 08:06:24 AM »
I love how minty that green one is!  I like the color,  too. Not enough love for the green kettles around here.  :D

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:42 AM »
Gorgeous Kettles!! I have fought the urge to start collecting these but I think after seeing this post I am going to start looking out for some colored ones now..

Thanks a lot Jeff ;)

tb6844

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
@Jeff, this process is on grills you use, correct?  The BBQ paint holds up well to the heat? 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 06:07:30 PM »
The second grill was found at an estate sale and was NIB.  It's an EO code 1995 green Smokey Joe gold.

@Jeff, what is the color description on the box (Green? Dark Green?) and what is the number? I'm curious, as the SJ database has 2 numbers listed for Green SJG... 40797 and 40799.

@Bob BQ
The box had the number of 47001.  It listed it only as a Tuck and Carry "Green"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
@Jeff, this process is on grills you use, correct?  The BBQ paint holds up well to the heat?

@tb6844
Yes...the paint I have is BBQ grill black paint.  It says its good to 1000 degrees.  I've cooked on grills with it and its held up just fine.