Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: converting from 5lb tanks to 1lb disposable tanks  (Read 11447 times)

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
converting from 5lb tanks to 1lb disposable tanks
« on: June 11, 2015, 03:45:35 AM »
Dear Folks,

I'm new here, and was hoping for some help.
I have an old (15 years) Weber Performer Charcoal grill - the kind with the gas ignition start.
It's the only grill I've ever owed, and I absolutely love it.
The problem is that the 5lb tank I have is too old to be refilled.
Further, if I understand correctly, the style of the tank is no longer being manufactured (it has a connection to the regulator that slips on and off).  This necessitates some adjustments on my end to keep the grill in use.

To be honest, I've always had some difficultly getting the five pound tank refilled, as the propane places near me don't seem too pleased with wasting their time refilling it for me.  So, I figured I'd take this opportunity to replace my 5 pound tank with those 1 pound disposable propane tanks.

From my local hardware store, I picked up two adapters that, when attached to the grill's regulator, permit me to screw the 1 pound propane tank right in. 

HOWEVER, no gas is coming through whatsoever when I do that. 

Would anyone happen to have any ideas or suggestions on how I should go about addressing this situation?

My best guess is that the grill's original regulator is not compatible with the 1lb tanks - or otherwise needs to be adjusted as a result of this change.  But I could be completely wrong about that.

Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: converting from 5lb tanks to 1lb disposable tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:06:58 AM »
I am no expert with the 5 lb tanks but i have seen posts from others that are:

1. the tanks are not common anymore but the they can be found online.

2. you may be able to have your tank updated by changing the hardware to add an OPD (overfill protection device) that is now required by law.

3. if your adapters aren't working i would check the regulator, hoses, and burners for clogs. When was the last time the gas assist worked? Over time they can get clogged by debris, dirt, ash, and even spider webs. I would dissemble and check for clogs first as that seems like the first thing to rule out.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:40:33 AM »
Thanks Charlie.  The gas assist has worked just fine up until a week or so ago when the tank went empty (I haven't refilled it in a couple of years and am 90% certain that's what happened). 
I could buy a whole new assembly, made for the 1 lb propone tanks, but was hoping I could make due with my existing assembly provided I get my hands on the proper adapters.  Everything fits together, but the gas won't flow.  I'm wondering if it's a problem with the settings on the regulator.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:21:21 AM »
If it was just working, i  would double check the connections on the new adapter then. make sure everything is tight. Perhaps the regulator (part 41 or 42 below) needs to be adjusted? Maybe the pressure output is different on the 1lb vs the 5 lb'ers. More research would be required on this subject.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:41:37 AM »
Thanks.  I'm going to fiddle with the regulator.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »
I'd suggest getting your 5lb tank recertified. About $25 and it's good for 10 more years, no hassle at the station.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »
the new 5lb tanks don't work with the old connections - I need a new connection in any event (or an adapter)

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
the new 5lb tanks don't work with the old connections - I need a new connection in any event (or an adapter)

So the tank is empty. Needs to be re-certified. And the quick connect is busted? All three? If everything was just working fine it sounds like you might just need your existing tank re-certified and refilled. Which, as 604 mentions, isn't a huge deal, and a much easier solution.
Growing family = growing kettles!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »
Rjames, just get an "Acme" adapter, should look like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F276495-Propane-Fitting/dp/B000BQT5H2 it replaces the existing fitting coming off your regulator.

Should screw on by hand to a modern tank or older tank that's been fitted with modern OPD valve. Call around about your tank; this isn't worth hassling with converting to 1lb tanks. My local ACE does it; they ring it up as a "4lb" tank, don't ask my why.

Just don't let anyone ring it up as a "BBQ tank" or they'll charge you the 20lb refill price.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »
I couldn't get the tank recertified. 
A replacement with the quick-connect seems to cost at least $80. 
I'd rather simply switch to the disposable 1lb propane canisters.
I'm wondering if that's possible.
The adapters I purchased all fit, and everything screws together / connects nicely.  Yet the gas won't flow.

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »
Thanks addicted.  That's the adapter I purchased.  One end screws directly onto the regulator. 
On the other end, I've attached another adapter that allows me to screw the 1lb canisters.
Just don't know why it's not working - everything looks correct.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
There is usually a second smaller brass "on/off" valve near the regulator as well - is that open too?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Rjames

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »
Yes - a small little lever that rotates 90-degrees on/off.  I've checked that.  Thank you.

Has anyone ever successfully tried this - that is, converting their system from the 5lb tank to the 1lb canisters?  I don't see why it shouldn't work.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
Home depo and lows both sell the little 5lb propane tanks they are just a little spendy they are like 50-60$ and if you notice on the regulator the quick conect fitting is screwed into the regulator it will thread out and you can buy the correct pice to screw into a standard 5lb or 20lb tank from your local propane distributor or most welding shops Cary them or buy online chances are your old tank wiill need the valve replaced with an overfill protection handle anyway as well as recertified 
BBQ to live live to BBQ

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
Rjames I don't know if anyone on this forum has converted to 1lb tanks on the SS Performer. As to your problem, it could be that the pressures are indeed different and that a different regulator is needed.

I don't know your location, you haven't added it to your avatar profile, but a $65 Manchester tank (they have the proper size/shape/mount design) from Amazon or ACE hardware delivered to your door might just be the best long term solution, especially if you use the grill often.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch