Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need a little help from my friends  (Read 3862 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Need a little help from my friends
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:40:03 PM »
A funny thing happened last Saturday on my way to Portland.  As always, I checked the Portland CL for kettles and unusually there was nothing new.  So then I checked Eugene (never anything in my home town), and wonder of wonders, there was a SS Performer.  I couldn't make contact fast enough.  Got home Sunday and picked up, what I believe, is a 1992 Gray SS Performer.  Now the work begins.  The before pictures show what I got for $45; gas leak in gas valve when opened, if your crazy enough to open it then a match can get the touch-n-go to light (igniter non-functional), needs a new ash sweep (and maybe a ash pan mounting bar).  I'm certain that, over time, I can read the past posts on how to resolve these issues, BUT my first question is: did Weber even make a Gray SS Perf in 1992???

As a follow-on note; the gray color looks even (no spots) over the entire lid and the kettle.

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Need a little help from my friends
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:07:28 AM »
Ha!!!  Answered my own question :)  Finally got around to reading the History of the Gen 1 Performer.  Grey (not Gray) was the last color listed.

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:38:01 AM »
Nice score I like that color!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:38:52 AM »
Very nice score!!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:18 AM »
Congrats..you can fix the ignitor...unscrew from burner tube and sand down /clean contacts to bare metal...you willnthen get first push ignitor light...easy fix...dont lose that small screw and dont strip it....

Theres a member herebthat sells aluminum ash catcher bars
Grills

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:37:55 AM »
@zavod44 I believe can help with the ash catcher bar
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:41:13 AM »
Let me know what you need, I have the ash bar.  I also make wooden replacement handles for the table and the lid.  Some nice wood might look pretty sweet on that gray......
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 05:07:28 AM »
I've never seen that color before. Nice find!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:09:41 AM »
I'd heard that they  made that color in the 1st gen performers but had never seen one.  Looks sharp.  Good luck with the restore, and post up some pics when you're done (and cooking).
One other thing on the ignitor fix-take a straightened out wire coathanger and run it on the inside of the burner a few times as well-those are well known havens for spiders' nests, which will keep it from working properly as well.  On mine, the ignitor sparked when the button was pressed, and would light with a butane lighter, but not with the button until I cleaned the inside of the burners.  Now, first time every time.

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 05:16:30 AM »
Let me know what you need, I have the ash bar.  I also make wooden replacement handles for the table and the lid.  Some nice wood might look pretty sweet on that gray......

@zavod44 - The Gaboon Ebony handle would look spectacular on that Grey beauty!

Nice SCORE!  I'd love to own one of those.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 05:52:20 AM »
I made Koa handles for a gray master touch in the same color as this, they looked really nice.  Ebony would be nice too.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »
Wow, never seen a gray SS Performer! And SmokenJoe, that picture of the riveted lid damper answered your question about age. Letter code "O" = 1992. I have the red version of that grill. You'll like it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »
That's a beautiful Performer, in great condition, and at a bargain price.  Nice work!
One of the charcoal people.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:26 AM »
Thanks to all for the helpful input.  I've learned my lesson, before I really get serious about my restoration I'm going to read all the posts on our site.

@zavod44   All I have to trade right now for some of your beautiful dark wood handles is a new-in-box 7409.  Have two but I'm going to need one for this project.  Like to keep her as factory as I can  ;) ;)

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
Sweet! I've never seen a grey SSP either. Congrats and enjoy!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers