Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help on buffing out a weird lid spot?  (Read 4300 times)

gunner

• WKC Brave
Help on buffing out a weird lid spot?
« on: May 08, 2015, 08:47:02 AM »
Hey All,

Hoping you guys can help me figure out how to buff out this weird spot on my lid? It almost looks like faint dirt or something, but it WILL NOT come off! I tried steel wool and dish soap but maybe need something more heavy duty? It's driving me crazy. It's hard to get a good picture of it, but see below. Any thoughts??

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Help on buffing out a weird lid spot?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »
Hey @gunner send me the grill and I'll take a look at the spot for you. I'll even qa the kettle with a couple dozen pounds of meat to make sure it's working properly after the cleanup. Anyways, thats really strange. Does it look like a stain or paint defect?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
Haha thanks @pbe gummi bear but I think I will hold on to this one for at least a little bit ;) It looks like dirt ? but it seems deep. I don't think it's a paint defect? I am thinking of trying something more abrasive (then dish soap) to scrub it out but not sure what to use? I don't want to risk ruining the porcelain. Any ideas?

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
have you tried carnuba car wax?
I only use kettles with lid bales.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
have you tried carnuba car wax?

@GregS , no I haven't tried that before. Looks like a good option. Have you used it before on kettles with success?

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:44:05 AM »
Yep.  Any cleaner wax like nufinish should work too.  Another option is dampen a rag with naptha, aka zippy lighter fluid.  That's a good cleaner as is wd40.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
nice I will try those options. Thanks!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 10:47:54 AM »
Haha thanks @pbe gummi bear but I think I will hold on to this one for at least a little bit ;) It looks like dirt ? but it seems deep. I don't think it's a paint defect? I am thinking of trying something more abrasive (then dish soap) to scrub it out but not sure what to use? I don't want to risk ruining the porcelain. Any ideas?

More abrasive is not neccessarily the right thing.....
What's needed is something that will dissove whatever created the stain.....that's hard to know if you weren't the one who created it.....

Could be that something like mineral spirits or paint thinner might be just harsh enough & work at the components of the stain without damaging the finish.....

Test out on the very bottom of the kettle where there's likely to be some build-up anyway & then you can see what gives.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
i would try a pumice stick. it's what I used to get rust stains out of light colored kettles.

just make sure the pumice is wet, and don't go ape shit with it.
http://amzn.to/1F4l0uM

They're softer than the ones people use on their feet :P

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
All good suggestions, thank you! @Troy , would you just use the pumice stick and warm water? or add dish soap or something else?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 11:16:52 AM »
Whatever you do, test it on the bottom of the bowl to see the side effects, if any.
Dude, relax your chicken.

samq

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
I'm new and all, but are you sure that just isn't a thin spot in the green paint, and the original/factory black is showing through?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
All good suggestions, thank you! @Troy , would you just use the pumice stick and warm water? or add dish soap or something else?

i just used water, but i suppose some soap may help.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »
Oh, you can also try lighter fluid. It's a great solvent. If you don't have any, I'm sure @Jeff can loan you some.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
Alright Lawrence, you funny guy.  FYI...I haven't used it in over a year!  I have two new chimneys!  Even one dedicated to the camper in Wisconsin with Weber lighter cubes!

@gunner
Hey now...as far as those blackish looking stains, I think I've seen those before on my lighter colored grills.  Oddly enough, 0000 steel wool wouldn't remove them, but if they are the same type of stain, I've had amazing luck using Cerama Bryte.  It took them right off!

http://www.amazon.com/Cerama-Bryte-Ceramic-Cooktop-Cleaner/dp/B00009WC69/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431118059&sr=8-1&keywords=Cerama+Bryte+Cooktop

Good luck!
Kettle collector AND cooker!