Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spareribs and potato salad  (Read 2128 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Spareribs and potato salad
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »
Got some spareribs. Rubbed with the following (I only measured the ingredients with numbers next to them):

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 Tbs fresh ground coffee
Black pepper
Paprika
Cayenne
Garlic powder
Onion powder

I used the charcoal baskets to build a bank of coals (mostly Coshell with some K Comp mixed in) because I don't have fire bricks yet and I wasn't feeling the snake. Hickory and pecan chunks scattered throughout. Lit 10 K Comp and dumped them on top to start a minion.

I wrapped in foil with butter, a little more rub, and a little cider vinegar at 3 hours. Holding dome therm at 250-275 consistently. I thought after I had already wrapped that a little Guinness leftover from St Patty's Day would have been a good addition to the braising stage, but I missed that boat.

I'm about 4 hours into a 3-2-1 but I'll probably end up at 5 hours total because I'm getting hungry. The potato salad is a warm German potato salad from Bobby Flay - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/german-potato-salad-recipe.html

More to come!

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
Re: Spareribs and potato salad
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »
Looking good so far. I hope the meal was great!
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
So Bobby Flay's potato salad is awesome. I rarely measure and I didn't have red onion so I used shallot instead, but it turned out great. The ribs ended up cooking for about 5 hours rather than 6 and I'm really glad I did that. My dome therm was 250-275 the whole time. They got 3 hours with smoke, about an hour fifteen in foil, and about 45 minutes unwrapped with smoke again. No sauce, didn't need it, really moist.

Good bend

If I can always do spareribs like that I don't ever need to eat baby backs again.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:55:45 AM »
Ahhhh........bend just to the crack...... 8)

Can tell those were good......keep trying spares, you might end out liking them a lot better !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »
Those are some tasty looking ribs!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:32:11 AM »
The ribs look great! So, what flavor does the ground coffee give...coffee flavor? ??? I've been wanting to try a coffee rub.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:34:19 AM »
The ribs look great! So, what flavor does the ground coffee give...coffee flavor? ??? I've been wanting to try a coffee rub.

@Nate  Here's an easy entry into the wonderful world of coffee......

http://www.mccormick.com/Grill-Mates/Flavors/Dry-Rubs/Grill-Mates-Cowboy-Rub

Good stuff, esp. on beef..... ;D

Gives you an idea so so can then mix your own if you'd like.........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:37:18 AM »
nice color on those ribs!!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:09:49 AM »
@Nate it's the first time I've used coffee on ribs but I have used it in a rub for rib eyes and melted a little blue cheese on top.... Give that a try. Buckie's post from McCormick's is a good place to start and there are quite a few variations if you google search coffee rub.

I had the idea to put it in the rib rub basically because it was a little too sweet when I tasted it and I wasn't sure what else to add. I didn't really want to venture towards Mexican flavor (chili powders, cumin, coriander - coffee does pair well with those too) because I use them all the time and it didn't need more salt or pepper. The coffee gives it a really full and rounded out flavor but you don't really taste it.

These were bite off the bone, but not falling off. I also didn't bother trimming them except removing the membrane on the bottom side. I think that's ok for family ribs at home!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:03:56 AM by austin87 »