Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A very cool discovery (Pictures added)  (Read 4597 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
A very cool discovery (Pictures added)
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »
This applies only to those who own a Ranch Kettle:

Either I have made a fairly cool discovery or this is old news that everyone else already knows about and I'm just late to the party? The other day I saw a Weber light that was made for a Weber Q portable grill. The light was listed on ebay with a "best offer" option. I don't own a Weber Q, but I figured what the heck, I'll throw the seller a lowball figure and see if he takes it. I submitted an offer of $9 and the seller accepted. The light is brand new still in the box.

I received the light today and took it out to my garage to see what I could possibly use it for. I got to looking at my Ranch Kettle and discovered that this light mounts perfectly under the front handle in the exact same way that it is supposed to mount under the handle of a Weber Q.

I mounted the light under the handle then put some batteries in it and raised and lowered the lid a few times and it goes off and on perfectly just as it's suppose to with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Nothing gets in the way when the lid is closed and the light doesn't get in the way of my hand when raising and lowering the lid. This will work out beautifully when I'm grilling late at night or in the early morning before the sun rises.

If anyone is considering making this mod to your RK, be aware that there are two different sizes of these Weber Q lights. The one that fits the RK is model number 6503. IMO, this should be a standard piece of basic equipment for every RK, especially since there is absolutely no drilling, cutting, carving, etc involved in the installation.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:21:16 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: A very cool discovery...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:25:55 PM »
Good info; I could never tell what was what with the "Grill Out" lights.

A quick Google shows a 7516 and 6427; always wondered if that second one (with clamp) would be useful.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
Thanks for the tip... How about a photo?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »

I never could figure out how to post pictures on here.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »

Lol
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »
Good info; I could never tell what was what with the "Grill Out" lights.

A quick Google shows a 7516 and 6427; always wondered if that second one (with clamp) would be useful.

Those models won't fit. They are all wrong for the RK. The 7516 is for a Weber gas grill with a round handle and the 6427 is a universal clamp on light. Model 6503 is the one that works with a Ranch Kettle.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:44:01 PM »

Do you put pics in a hosting service like Photobucket or one like it?

Except for right at the very start, this site has not had the storage capability (almost all forum sites don't, from what I can tell) to carry or "host" the pics, so a 3rd party hosting hotlinks to here.....it's free & relatively easy if you don't happen to do that already.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:37 PM »

Do you put pics in a hosting service like Photobucket or one like it?

Except for right at the very start, this site has not had the storage capability (almost all forum sites don't, from what I can tell) to carry or "host" the pics, so a 3rd party hosting hotlinks to here.....it's free & relatively easy if you don't happen to do that already.....

My wife is the computer genius of the family. I'll check with her and see if she can explain it to me.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »
OK, cool......

Here's a nice rundown from Brian also:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/kettle-club-discussions/how-to-post-pictures-here-at-the-wkc/

It's stickied at the top of Website Suggestions section......

I use perhaps an even more streamlined method to move them from P /B to here....

This panel shows at the right side:

Where it says IMG Code....just click that & it should flash yellow for a second saying "Copied"
( or, highlight that box, right click & "Copy" it)

Then come here, right click & "Paste" the photo's link in your posting box.....

leave a line or two in between text & pics or between pics by hitting "enter", preview to check things out & you're golden.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 03:43:09 PM »
WE NEED PHOTOS!!! @ramsfan
I'm interested in this light but would like to see it mounted before I invest
                            WKC Collaborator

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
Bob if you want to email me the pic I can post it up if you like. Cool idea!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:45 PM »
Hey guys, the photos are up now. Check out this mod I discovered using a light originally designed for a Weber Q. The light fits perfectly on a Ranch Kettle. The last photo was taken in total darkness to show how much light is shed on the cook grate at night.

IMO, for anyone who owns a Ranch Kettle, this ought to be an immediate upgrade. It works great!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: A very cool discovery (Pictures added)
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »
My handles are a different style but it should work
Thanks Ramsfan, I'll be getting one
                            WKC Collaborator