Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: bowl/lid cleaning: putty knife vs chemicals vs scrubbers vs razor scraper  (Read 5735 times)

Troy

• Statesman
The first vintage grill I cleaned had more than an inch of caked on filth. It took weeks. I would soak it in Krud Kutter over night and chisel away at it with a plastic putty knife, flat screwdriver, and steel wool. It literally took 5 sessions before getting down to the porcelain. The stuff was caked on so thick that the vent holes were COMPLETELY sealed.

Over the years, I learned how to effectively use Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray it on, put the bowl/lid into a trash bag, let it sit for a day.
Usually one application is all it takes. After a day in the bag, hose out the gunk and hit whats left with a plastic putty knife (or my fave, a platter from a torn apart hard drive).
This is a great method. It's the least amount of "work" when you add up all the actual time spent cleaning. My wife calls me lazy. I prefer the term efficient.

@SixZeroFour and a few others have been harping about razor scrapers, and I really never saw the need. Although I picked up a cheap one just to try on triangles (it's what Six recommends in his Triangle restoration guide)

Oddly enough, Six left a grill at my house that was particularly stubborn. I'm not sure what the previous owner burned in this thing, but Easy Off literally had no effect. My special hard drive platter wouldn't touch it. In an act of desperation, I pulled out that cheap scraper I bought at home depot for 4 bucks. Low and behold, it handled the caked on filth with relative ease.
Unfortunately the scraper crapped out and kept retracting on me. A needle nosed vice grip held the blade much better. 20 minutes later, the lid and bowl are looking great.

I'm officially sold. I just ordered THIS SCRAPER and i'm pretty excited to see it in action.
Maybe I'll do a deep clean on a few more kettles to really test it out.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
I have one of those cheap retractable scrapers and it's a PITA …. Need to get the one you ordered. 
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Razor scrapers are the ONLY way to go. That, and some "SOS" pads, will get your caked on crud covered grill shining like a new 30 year old kettle    ;D

I'd look at a short handled holder as well, for a little more control and leverage.

Dude, relax your chicken.

Troy

• Statesman
the one i bought at home depot is stubby, but its retractable (Stanley brand)
I'm going to drill a hole through the mechanism and put a screw through it to keep it locked.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
I just had the one you ordered deliver to my house yesterday. I am hoping to test it out later this weekend..

Troy

• Statesman
I just had the one you ordered deliver to my house yesterday. I am hoping to test it out later this weekend..

let me know how it goes!! I'm a tiny bit worried about the spring clip

for what its worth, the needle nose vice grips (cheap ones from Harbor Freight) work surprisingly well

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
I will. Its supposed to be 60 here on Saturday and I am smoking a brisket and cleaning kettles all day ;-)

dazzo

• WKC Performer

I will. Its supposed to be 60 here on Saturday and I am smoking a brisket and cleaning kettles all day ;-)

Sounds like a fine day!

Dude, relax your chicken.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
I have had bad luck with the retractable ones. This is from Stanley tools, it costs a buck and it works great.

I may look at getting one like you ordered for greater leverage. 
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SixZeroFour

Those retractable ones are awful... try holding it upside down and it shouldn't retract on its own as much  ::)

I haven't tried the spring loaded version but a very similar one and its great!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

fedex

• WKC Ranger
@Troy  that type of Scrapper is available at Harbor Freight.  Bought mine a couple years ago for around 10.00  comes with 4 different size scrappers.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
This is what I use. Its just an old hoe I ground to the approximate profile of the kettle. This tool will scrape the heaviest crap off as rough or gentle as you need it to be.

My old hoe wont get your bowls as clean as a razor will but in my opinion a clean kettle is a sign of a sick mind.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
My old hoe wont get your bowls as clean as a razor will but in my opinion a clean kettle is a sign of a sick mind.

You used old hoe and sick mind in the same sentence.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Do you shave your bowls with a razor?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Do you shave your bowls with a razor?

I use a Remington.