Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: aw shucks, lost my heat! [Meatloaf, pix added]  (Read 1360 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
aw shucks, lost my heat! [Meatloaf, pix added]
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
A little more than 3/4 of chimney filled with mostly leftover Coshell. It had been lit by the Performer for a good 10 mins although the tops didn't appear to catch. I like Coshell's heat and longevity but for me it's a bitch to light.

Or in tonight's case, to stay lit? I didn't have a problem using it 2 days ago.

But one of my 18's intake vents got clogged with ash. Even so, there should have been plenty of air to keep it going.

Moved the food, put the coals back into the chimney and I'll continue again ...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:28:00 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
Re: aw shucks, lost my heat!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
it does take longer to light.

if you're using a chimney on your performer (with the gas assist), I find it helps to invert the cone of the chimney.
so instead of |/\| its more like |\/|

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:54:34 PM »
Might as well try that, since I don't stuff it with newspaper anyway. I did a 2lb meatloaf tonight and the juice/sauce was up to about the halfway point in the pan. So I suppose the coals had a lot of liquid to work through for the hour it was on until dead.

And yet, I reused the same coals again to re-light, so they hadn't been consumed and I doubt snuffed out. I probably only lit a few, and the rest just never caught on even when sitting in the hot kettle.

Somebody needs to invent a twin-fuel chimney somehow, lit from both ends. ;)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
on the 18.5":

and done:

It was delicious!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: aw shucks, lost my heat! [Meatloaf, pix added]
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »
Wife: "So, do we also have a vegetable?"

Me: "Sorry, what was that?"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
Did you use Pyrex to cook it in? I've always wanted to but wasn't sure if it would shatter. Glass is obviously a no go but I thought Pyrex might be able to handle a kettle if it wasn't raging hot.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
Everything I've read says Pyrex is OK up to 450-500 degrees F. At higher temps you want to exercise some caution with quickly heating or cooling it, not that I would know how to really accomplish that.

Anything I put in a dish or bowl to bake is normally happening somewhere around 300-350 at the grate ... just like your oven. I do however tend to move the coals more towards the outsides, and not create a pile right in the center underneath the Pyrex.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 04:41:51 PM »
Alrighty then.... It's a go until I explode my girlfriend's Pyrex and get the business!